1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horizontal nipples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rapptors, May 27, 2011.

1. Rapptors

Rapptors Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    I can't seem to find an unequivocal yes or no to placing the nipples horizontally. As this is for meat chickens I don't want to set up PVC, I would rather just stick them in a bucket to hang in their tractor.

Since the tractor is rather low, I would like to insert the nipples around the bottom perimeter of the bucket rather than directly in the bottom of the bucket.

So what is the consensus of the group before I drill the heck out of a bucket?

Thanks,
    Ali

Edited to add - For the buckets, I got the food grade 3 gallon buckets for free from my local grocery store's bakery. They get their fillings in them. I hate it when I read people are buying buckets at the hardware store because most can find them for free locally and hardware buckets are not food grade.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    It seems like it would work, but I don't know for sure. Hopefully someone else will chime in soon!

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    No, don't do it!

The nipples release water by moving the metal part to the side. There is no spring involved. If you install them horizontally, then gravity will move the metal to the side and (drip-drip-drip) you'll have however many gallons of water on the floor.

4. Rapptors

Apr 12, 2011
    What about if it is at a downward slope? Holding it sideways now I can see how pure horizontal wouldn't work.... Know what? I have a couple extra buckets... I will just do it and report back how it works.

5. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:Good luck!

Another way, if you can figure out how to do it with these lovely water-filled buckets, is the drill a bucket-sized hole in the roof of the tractor...put the bucket in about halfway, until the bottom is reasonably high, then seal the edges. You'll need to support the bucket somehow if you do that, though. That part is up to you to figure out. [​IMG]

6. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    They won't work properly. unless they are at a 90 degree angle and needs to be at or above head height.

7. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Click the link below for the answer you seek to your watering problems. Maybe..... [​IMG]

http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-ca...e-rig-house-trade-water-bottle-32-oz--2179554

The above posts are correct, the poultry nipples are great, but have to be pointed down to the ground, because they are based on gravity. The reason you aren't seeing pics of them posted how you would like to try them is because others have probably tried and failed. The water comes down the small metal nob into the chickens mouth, if it were sideways it would run out before it went into thier mouth and then it wouldn't plug back up, and as someone posted above, all your water would run out.

8. Rapptors

Apr 12, 2011
    Hmmm.... we put them in at an angle on the side of the bucket. Granted, at an angle the hole become more oblong than round. This caused some seepage. It was thought maybe a hair smaller bit than recommended? I glopped some hot glue from my craft gun around the nipple and that fixed the seepage. It is holding dry and the little chicks are doing fine with using it. The plungers close right back up. They seem to be getting water out of it? They're funny, they'll go in circles around the bucket at each nipple.

Pictures to follow!

Ali

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  9. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Nope, sorry - they work properly when hanging down.

10. constantine337

constantine337 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    Brazil
    They work best hanging straight down. (wish it worked out the other way, then it would be easier to handle my water bucket)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by