Horn on face??

Michelle2702

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014

Does anybody know what this might be on her face??

Last edited:
Hello and
welcome-byc.gif

That's an interesting projection. I originally thought a feather that didn't shed or growth caused by a papilloma virus but it doesn't appear to be either... Perhaps a deformity of jaw or beak type tissues/cells... Is it anchored or loose/movable?

Also, how old is the bird, and has it always had this?

Best wishes.

She is two months old. I just noticed it today but may have been growing for awhile. Its hard, like a horn and doesn't move. She didn't care that I touched it and the others don't care and don't have it. It's weird.

I've seen chicks who've been scalped so badly that they have their lower jaw projecting out the back of their head, not anchored within muscle etc, I thought perhaps that might be it... But it'd be quite twisted out of place if that were so. Still, it is odd. Perhaps just a deformed feather? At least it doesn't look life threatening or life quality degrading.

Depending on what other feathers that chook is growing, it may be a male. Those head and neck feathers are a bit 'fancy' for a female of two months old, not that it's unheard of in females too.

ETA: possible also that it's an ear deformity, some breeds have that, but it's generally the inner structures and not any breed like that... Just a random possibility.

Best wishes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom