Horrible news

So sorry that you lost your chickens. I'm sure you feel so bad, but don't beat yourself up. Next year just resist the urge to put heat in the coop. I'm only 2-3 hours from you in Ohio, and mine do fine in the cold with good ventilation overhead to reduce humidity, even the banties.

Even when temps are 5 or 6 degrees? I know when I went out to check them every morning I would pick them up and they felt warm. How many do you have? Where at in Ohio, I am originally from Chesapeake still have a papa downthere.

I hate that for you

That is often in the back of my mind when i have to leave the heat lamp on overnight.

Hope this doesnt deter you from your hobby!

So sorry for your loss, I agree with the others don't let it detour you from starting over. it takes time and when your ready it will be easier. Its just hard for you right now. I worry about the same thing, I leave my light on 24/7 because I am in michigan. I can't wait for the weather to break so I can turn it off. I also have one for our cat close to the house, I worry more about that one. I have seen one made that has a regular light bulb inside a cement block that doubles as a heater and it has the watering can on it ( a metal one) to keep the water from freezing. Good luck and go strong with everything you have allready learned.

I am soooo sorry to hear that.. =( That really sucks. :(

FWIW, I live in upstate NY and all my chickens have been fine even in negative double digits (no heat). You shouldn't need a heat lamp for your next batch as long as they are adults. :)

Sorry about your loss. We don't have any chickens yet, but we've heard how easy it is to get attached to them. I've been wondering what to do about next winter, and it looks like as long as it doesn't get really cold (like under 0 F), there's no need to worry. Featherz above says there's are ok in negative double digits without heat. They DO have a shelter, at least they aren't out in the trees.

there's a thread elsewhere on the forum (really big one) that is from peeps in alaska with chickens that don't use any heat. NOT picking on you - everyone has to do what they think best for their animals.. but I can tell you that I have 60+ birds and haven't lost one to cold yet. So consider going heat free for your next batch! =) (or if not, use something like a sweeter heater which is 'safer' heat).

I am so sorry for your loss. I just lost my alpha rooster about a month ago. I was so upset I couldn't mention his name without crying. Take the time you need to heal.

so sorry for your loss. im less than 2hr from you. i havent used a heat lamp all winter. havent lost one yet.
hugs.gif
from a fellow west virginian

Thanks everyone! I will definstely second guess my heat next winter. I went to the coop and have a small hole on the floor to patch and some cleanibg to do but will be getting it ready for my next batch. I plan on going to the feed store and getting babies when they come in April. I'll get 6 Buff Orp. Hens and a RIR roo .

Back
Top Bottom