Horrible treatment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't watch those documentary things about animal cruelty. I understand there is evil in this world...I don't need to see a production piece especially edited to elicit a shock response, even if it flies under the radar of good intentions to "make us all aware" of injustices and animal cruelty.
I have ten chickens, and they are very well cared for; I cannot imagine having ten thousand, but I'm sure it would involve some degree of loss, and, maybe even worse, some sense of detachment that I am not accustomed to.

DD

It is sad and I think it makes unhealthy food and unhappy animals. No point in discussing it though.

I have been to the farm sanctuary in NY many years ago 2 times. Well, I would so much like to go back again! I would so much like to revisit to see how things are today. They are vegan and they really promote the vegan lifestyle however, the education they give, especially to the kids is great. We got to see all the animals they rescued from being slaughtered or mistreated and I remember these farm animals were humongous! This was due to the steroids they were given. I didn’t recall seeing any chickens at that time but I know the turkeys, pigs and cows were unreal. I have never, ever seen animals this size in my entire life. I recall the one pig that booted my son in the butt (he needed it! )
wink.png
was 1100 or 1200 pounds. But they do show videos and sadly to say a lot of the footage of the cruelty to animals was in my own back yard. I had no idea these people in that area treated the animals like that at that time. Now I know better!
But I do recommend a visit there it will really open your eyes to how cruel people can be to farm animals. Granted they are being raised for food but that doesn’t mean they have to be mistreated while they are here on this earth.

Quote:
I second this. I'd love to know what was just rumor and what was fact. I don't consider my girls slaves, does any master ever, since they're going to be laying whether I'm there to snatch the eggs or not... it's foraging, but in a confined and planned way. Like those mushroom people who have their 'spots' that they won't share with anyone... except that I share. And confinement wise, it's for my peace of mind and easy collection as much as it is for their protection from predators so seems mutually beneficial to me. But I'm talking about 4sf coop per bird minimum, 10sf of run, hopefully someday pastured. The same does not, IMO, apply to cages with 1sf in any way, just for disease control that's flat out stupid.

I hope that tossing eggs bit is false. I totally understand helping animals, but throwing away food when there are (shamefully) people starving in this country... not cool. Shoot even if you just donated them to other shelters for use in animal feeds it would do some good. As I said before, they're gonna lay them whether you pick them up or not so you may as well do some good... for your own tummy or someone else's. Also, if you're concerned about hoarders and don't think animals should be kept for meat or eggs, etc then why would you breed more? Bit confusing that so any clarification appreciated.

Quote:
While they support the vegan lifestyle, it has been my experience that they present the facts and educate those that visit then let them make their own decisions. I have been on the tour, seen the videos and read the literature. At no time did I feel pressured. I don't know when I have been in a more peaceful, serene place. It is a farm out of the picture books. There is nary a cobweb. The light fixtures are hand wiped. The straw bedding is changed at least every other day, the floors scraped and fresh bedding applied. There is no smell....even the pigs. It is such an uplifting experience to see these huge animals that were once victims of abuse or neglect, make nests for themselves in straw 2' deep. They carry it around in their mouths to their special spot...I had never seen that behaviour before. And what a great feeling to see de-beaked and de-toed turkeys experiencing joy. They are treated to a veritable feast on Thanksgiving at one of their fundraisers.
They do not enter private property and seize animals. This is against the law and I am sure they would rather their dollars support the animals than the lawyers.
The eggs that are laid by their hens are fed back to the animals. They are not wasted.
I highly recommend a visit if you are in the area. I came away with the decision to eliminate meat from my diet and reduce the amount of dairy I consume. As much for the animals as my own health. I still prepare meat for my husband and my daughter is vegan. All facets under the same roof.

Quote:
Haven't read this whole thread, but I agree with Farm Sanctuary as a trustworthy advocate for farm animals. I have been a member for years, and have volunteered there many times; they are wonderful! NOT a "terrorist" type animals rights group, just a fantastic farm with a lot of clout.

Last edited by a moderator:
We recently had an initiative passed in our state to limit the overcrowding of hens in cages. I voted on it, but I don't think it will do enough. At least it's something.

I did see a documentary about farmers trying to make a living as chicken/egg farmers. They say they barely make anything and many don't agree with how the big companies tell them to raise their hens. But, they often barely make enough to pay the bills and if they want to make a living, they have to do things the way the big companies tell them to. I remember one lady had an older building that was more humane and allowed chickens to live a more normal life, though still a little crowded. But, the company that bought her stock and eggs told her to make all kinds of changes such as making the coop perpetually dark and do other things that she didn't want to do. She only made about $18,000 a year and it was pretty much all absorbed in operational costs.

Quote:
where did you see this? I want to get it to show it to everyone i know...nothing pisses me off more is horrible treatment of chickens.

youtube-

get out your tissue
hit.gif

Quote:
where did you see this? I want to get it to show it to everyone i know...nothing pisses me off more is horrible treatment of chickens.

utube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom