horrific hatch, brinsea oct 20, what went wrong?

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
my eggs are not due to hatch until today, yet one egg hatched on sunday night/monday morning (it was a bantam)

i opened the incubator briefly yesterday to take the little one out to put in the brooder. but im concerned as today i see no pips/cracks no movement and no peeping from the remaining 30 eggs.

what would have caused one egg to hatch 3 days early and the others to be seemingly late (if they hatch at all?)

i know i should be patient the others could still hatch but still i cant help worrying because one hatched so early!!! they all went in at the same time and were all stored the same......

Last edited:
i'm sorry, i know how frustrating and suspenseful it can be waiting for them to come. At this point, just keep the incubator running and give them time. i've made the terrible mistake of giving up too early and turning my incubator off, only to hear mournful peeping coming from an egg. i wouldn't fret until day 25.

Hang in there and let us know what happens.

Edited to add: i don't know why one would hatch early. There isn't necessarily an explanation. But i've had that happen too where one or two come early and then some come much later.

Last edited:
Ive been having mine hatch all over the place this time...one day 19, 1 day 20, NONE day 21, 2 day 22, now today is 23 and the last two are pipping!

I am not an expert, but I do think bantam eggs hatch earlier than standard eggs. I know for sure that Serama's do. As far as the different time frames of your other eggs hatching, it may be that where they were at inside of the incubator may have had temperature variations. A little hotter in one area (those eggs hatched earlier) and less hot in others (those are hatching later).

Keep them in there until at least day 25 and let us know what happens!

well its now 2 days after the were supposed to hatch, and ive had three hatch out yesterday, one was extremely bloody as opposed to the usual clean shells of my hatches..
i now have 2 other eggs which have pipped and zipped, the end is off the egg but the membrane has dried out over night......do these 2 need some help??

so do i have perhaps humidity issues? i thought bloody eggshell were a sign of too high humidity, and dried out membranes too low?......so whats going on with this hatch? i have never had a hatch go wrong like this.

well in the end we got 6 living normal chicks, 15 dead in the shells (all seemed to be day 20/21 age) and a couple died after hatching. various deformities boggle eyes, toes to long/legs too short etc....what would cause such an horrific hatch? the incubator was a brinsea oct 20. ive used it 3 times before with perfect hatching and now this???

Quote:
Wow. That does sound horrific. I have never had the kinds of deformities you described. Could the eggs have just been "bad"? I hope someone comes along to tell you what might have happened.

Deb

the eggs were all from different sources (majority were bantam eggs, cochin bantams, chabos, araucana bantams, wyandotte and a few normal size eggs barnvelder appenzeller spitskuif and marans, so i really dont think it was the eggs.

i want to test run my bator again but would be heartbroken if i had another hatch like this
sad.png

Next time you clean it, use a bleach solution. Sounds to me like there could be bacteria.

One egg can hatch early if a hen sat on it for a couple of days and it was ahead of the others.

Also, my Oct-20 needs a lot of extra humidity near the end when it's dry outside. I usually add a papertowel under the tray to wick water out of the wells and all overs the bottom of the bator. Just poke the center of the paper towel into the wells to sop the water and leave the rest of it spread across the bator base.

Were these shipped eggs?
Eggs get pretty scrambled during the shipping process. I have the best success when hatching local eggs, but still by shipped eggs for specific breeds I want.

Back
Top Bottom