Horse Lovers Thread

Pics
You’re right! I guess that is impressive, in my eyes the only greenbrokes I’ve ridden have been significantly less impressive 😂

I agree with you that bonding is very important. I’m struggling to find that with the mare I mentioned. She turned 9 this year, and despite professional training, she is still very disrespectful on the ground. She sees a halter and puts her ears back. She has to get a treat. I’ve tried working around that, this issue is new to arise and is difficult for me to work out of her. If you have any tips let me know, I’ll glad,y take them, I hate to have this fight with her.
When I bring out the halter I also bring out a couple peppermint cookies (small) for after the halter is on and everything. I call her over to me, and she comes some of the time. If she doesn’t come that’s fine and I walk over to her, usually close to the fenceLine anyway. I throw the lead rope around her neck and hold it loosely but with a grip that she can’t go back to grazing. I can only achieve this step sometimes, and once it’s done I slip on the halter easily, but the times we have struggle is when she notices the halter first. I’ve even had her go as far as to do a “mini buck” in the dark. It was very dangerous because I could barely see what I was doing, I was by myself to, so I let her do her thing since I didn’t want to accidentally be injured. Since then I go out before dark if I need to halter her. I try and throw the rope around her neck but she will see it, throw her head up high with her ears way back, and turn away from me. If I try to get close she throws her head up and puts her ears back again. Sometimes I can get it around her neck, other times it’s not safe (like I said I’m on my own, if I get kicked it wouldn’t be safe) so I take my time, I talk to her and tell her she’s good, I even once got as close as touching her again with the halter, but shortly after I made my way back to her face, she threw her head at me and hit my shoulder. I try so hard to keep her under control on the ground. She’s a horse so she could easily hurt me. The bond I want between us in nonexistent despite 2 years of effort on my end. It makes me so mad, I don’t hesitate to want to sell her, but seeing her with these issues would make that difficult.

this started about a month ago, it was very sudden and I’ve never seen it in any horse before. how can I help her?
I'm not a horse owner or anything and she may just be being obstinate for no reason, but have you had her checked by a vet? She may have problem that makes it painful to be ridden, so she's avoiding the halter...idk. My dog hated his old harness and finally we realized it was chafing him underneath and giving blisters. So yeah, a vet might be a good idea. Just my thoughts though☺️

Hello! Got more pics!
Charlie:
chawlie.jpg
boots.jpg

Ozzie:
fuz wuz.jpg

And Leo!
leo.jpg

I'm not a horse owner or anything and she may just be being obstinate for no reason, but have you had her checked by a vet? She may have problem that makes it painful to be ridden, so she's avoiding the halter...idk. My dog hated his old harness and finally we realized it was chafing him underneath and giving blisters. So yeah, a vet might be a good idea. Just my thoughts though☺
Good idea. But she’s had this halter for at least 5 years I think the problem would have shown up sooner if it was from that. There’s no marks either. Saddle fit is good, I’m pretty sure nothing is hurting her. I’ve double checked the saddle for several times anyway. :confused:

You’re right! I guess that is impressive, in my eyes the only greenbrokes I’ve ridden have been significantly less impressive 😂

I agree with you that bonding is very important. I’m struggling to find that with the mare I mentioned. She turned 9 this year, and despite professional training, she is still very disrespectful on the ground. She sees a halter and puts her ears back. She has to get a treat. I’ve tried working around that, this issue is new to arise and is difficult for me to work out of her. If you have any tips let me know, I’ll glad,y take them, I hate to have this fight with her.
When I bring out the halter I also bring out a couple peppermint cookies (small) for after the halter is on and everything. I call her over to me, and she comes some of the time. If she doesn’t come that’s fine and I walk over to her, usually close to the fenceLine anyway. I throw the lead rope around her neck and hold it loosely but with a grip that she can’t go back to grazing. I can only achieve this step sometimes, and once it’s done I slip on the halter easily, but the times we have struggle is when she notices the halter first. I’ve even had her go as far as to do a “mini buck” in the dark. It was very dangerous because I could barely see what I was doing, I was by myself to, so I let her do her thing since I didn’t want to accidentally be injured. Since then I go out before dark if I need to halter her. I try and throw the rope around her neck but she will see it, throw her head up high with her ears way back, and turn away from me. If I try to get close she throws her head up and puts her ears back again. Sometimes I can get it around her neck, other times it’s not safe (like I said I’m on my own, if I get kicked it wouldn’t be safe) so I take my time, I talk to her and tell her she’s good, I even once got as close as touching her again with the halter, but shortly after I made my way back to her face, she threw her head at me and hit my shoulder. I try so hard to keep her under control on the ground. She’s a horse so she could easily hurt me. The bond I want between us in nonexistent despite 2 years of effort on my end. It makes me so mad, I don’t hesitate to want to sell her, but seeing her with these issues would make that difficult.

this started about a month ago, it was very sudden and I’ve never seen it in any horse before. how can I help her?
Well, it's hard to administer advice over the internet but maybe I can just give some thoughts by thinking "if this was my horse what would I do?"

It's interesting that this is a sudden behavior change. What is different in her life? Is it from a health issue? (which may be an underlying cause)--is she equating the halter with work? It is perhaps a wise choice to have a Vet look into her, ulcers can create a personality change in your horse--and it's really amazing how many horses suffer from them (even foals can get them!). That's just one example of a health issue creating behavior changes.

Anyway, good job using your instincts to stay safe--please continue to do so! I wish you luck!

Hi people I haven't seen all that many horse threads around lately so I decided to make one. Here I hope you will post stories, pictures, thoughts, questions, and absolutely anything equine related!
Here is my Arab cross mare Moonlight:
View attachment 2401826she's in her late 20s but acts like 4🤣
I will try to take pics of the rest soon!
I have an Arabian who is in his 30s now! He been with me since he been 5!
20200616_121414.jpg

Since I retired my old man, from me riding him. This is the one to fill his shoes. I bought him as a 2 yr old, he is now 8! He is half Arabian and half Appaloosa. He is a great boy, but with 2 kids it been hard to ride.
20201108_114854.jpg
20201108_114859.jpg

Attachments

• 20200316_130555.jpg
    20200316_130555.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 1
Well, it's hard to administer advice over the internet but maybe I can just give some thoughts by thinking "if this was my horse what would I do?"

It's interesting that this is a sudden behavior change. What is different in her life? Is it from a health issue? (which may be an underlying cause)--is she equating the halter with work? It is perhaps a wise choice to have a Vet look into her, ulcers can create a personality change in your horse--and it's really amazing how many horses suffer from them (even foals can get them!). That's just one example of a health issue creating behavior changes.

Anyway, good job using your instincts to stay safe--please continue to do so! I wish you luck!
Thanks! I’ve been working with her. Not much has changed, she has been moved from her old training farm, back here after a year there, but it was a couple months before the issues started to arise, so I doubt that’s it. I hope it is nothing physical bothering her, I haven’t yet seen anything bothering her (although it could just be hidden) she runs every day from the pond to the far side of the field, about once a day. She doesn’t give herself a huge workout, but she is at least moving. Obviously this cant tell us much of anything about a possible ulcer, but she doesn’t show symptoms. I’m sad that the bond I want between us is not really forming like I wanted it to. I’ve had her for 2 years and yet I haven’t found her show if she really does care for me. what the most important thing is, is maintaining a good relationship on the ground, in order to have one in the saddle. I have bonded with a horse before, and this is just not it. My main assumption is that she believes she’s the one in charge, and that she can boss me around. I wish to conquer that in her, and there are many steps we have to take. If it isn’t anything physical (which I will check) then I think I just need to take it one step at a time with her, and work myself back up to where I want to be in an atleast trusting relationship.

Back
Top Bottom