horse people...gelding? UPDATE!AGAIN! 11/26 pics

bufforp89

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Chenango Forks NY
I have a 3 year old appendix paint stud colt that will be coming home pretty soon. I have never had to go through the gelding process before. He is staying put right where he is until its done, really don't want any fugly 1/2 paint 1/2 apps running around as I have a mare. He is a super big sweetie, does whatever is asked of him. I have only worked with him a few times but he was a pleasure each and every time. He learns very fast and is focused on his handler, I have never worked with a young horse with such a great attention span. I got him to walk on a lunge, reverse and halt (and he will do it pretty much every time no fail) in just 2 sessions. He is my dream horse!

His only issue is that he is starting to become aware of mares. Nothing that a firm jiggle on the lead can't usually handle but he is starting to get a little goofy walking past their pens, stalls, etc. So my question is how long will it take after he is gelded to start acting like a gelding? He is getting gelded right where he is but as soon as he is fit to travel he is coming home. I have a nice high 6 strand electric fence paddock that he will be in...how long before he can join in group turnout? He is very submissive towards other horses, geldings especially, when he was weaned he was with 2 older geldings and I guess they really showed him who the boss was and kept him in line....

Just worried and want it all to go smoothly!!!

A picture of Clyde the appendix paint. Mom is a TB and dad is a Paint stud. He will be my trail horse extraordinaire, nothing more.

37655_c12.jpg

37655_shiny_clyde.jpg

Last edited:
Anytime we have cut one, it took him about 6-8 weeks to fully recover and by then he had forgotten all about the mares. We usually cut around age 2. Just an FYI but once a stallion has been used at stud, sometimes they never forget it and will always act a bit stud-ish around mares. It really depends on the stallion. But the youngsters do seem to forget about the mares when they are cut early, in my experience.

HTH

Rusty

What a lovely fellow you got there. I would wait at least a month to help ensure non-pregnancy of your mare, but ask your vet, they may have a better idea. What you have going for you is that he isn't an active stud, and hopefully once they're gone, he will not have a care in the world...
smile.png

Agreed with Rusty; I had a TB who was cut late and he would get excited when I would tack him up by a mare, it was actually really cute because he was HARMLESS and a very non-self confident horse and to see him act "studly" was just plain funny.

He has never been with a mare other then his dam. After being weaned he was with two 5 year old geldings and then for the last year, year and a half has been with two other younger (2 year olds) stud colts. The only mares around are a few broodmares. The closest ones to him are a yearling filly who is his full sister and a weanling filly. He has luckily lived a pretty sheltered life when it comes to mares.

I don't have an answer to your question but wanted to say he's BEAUTIFUL!
love.gif
Sounds like he's going to be a great horse! I have an 8 yr old AQHA gelding and a 4 yr old TB gelding (retired race horse) that don't focus as well as yours does!

he's very pretty, good decision to geld him, stallions are unpredictable and strong enough that if they don't want to do (or want to do) they're strong enough to get there way. I would say between 1-3 months for him to fully recover.

Quote:
He is indeed very flashy, would make a looker of a dressage horse...
big_smile.png

No dressage around here, its all about barrel racing and more western type activities. Not really sure what we will get into, lots of time to figure it out be he will be primarily a trail horse.

His full sister would make a great jumper, dressage horse etc (see? Im clueless when it comes to English disciplines!) Looks just like him but with bright blue eyes, white all the way up to her knees and rather then the bald face has a wide blaze. Going to be at least 16.2-17hh, awesome floating movement but is a little firecracker!

Quote:
I agree, I would never keep a stallion. I have to work with one occasionally at work so I know what a handful they can be. Not my idea of a good time. Plus my horse although pretty is far from what I would consider breeding quality.

Back
Top Bottom