Horse people... Going to look at this guy today

I want to add also.... I agree with Welsummer... The horse is being tolerant... There was no canter.... why not... I didn't read the part about the knee but that does make sense why he isn't "using himself". He is well mannered in this video. I would have a real good look at his legs internally and let's not forget the feet. The part that takes a real beating is the joints in the feet and also in the sacrial joint if there is any foot trouble. When you are looking take some pictures for us. I would like a Foot picture from the bottom and from the back. If you would please. The horse moves level. I am not convinced by the video that this is the horse's normal rider as the horse is more consistant than the person on it's back. I like the work ethic despite his obvious mood. A knee chip may not be a big deal for a weekend rider "on the flat"... I will have to read a little deeper. If you are planning to jump...one with a knee chip already has a strike against it IMHO. As far as the breeding... I love Bold Ruler lines... One of my horses is listed on Del Mar Master Tracker.

Okay DH just posted the video I took of DD today on you tube. Here is the link

Hope that works.

She was only able to ride less than 10 minutes before the bottom fell out.

As I was taping her I was NOT able to really watch him myself with a keen eye.I will do that on Monday.

The bottom fell out?????

I think the video stops before the bottom falls out.

It doesn't look like the right horse for your daughter, lame or not. It's too forward and quick. She rides on a loose rein - she needs a horse that maintains a steady rhythm by itself.

Last edited:
Pat I REALLY appreciate you popping in, you are always so analytical in your thinking style.

I was thinking IF I got him I would take her 2 sets and the set I have done and compare them to see what has changed. In the past I have found THAT to be a fabulous tool.

~I ~ Never said 3 foot. SHE said he CAN jump 3', but I did NOT ask if he could jump a 3' course. DD is 12.5 and has been left behind on the jumping cuz the morab pony would NOT jump more than 2' and I knew it before DD ever started riding her and I wasn't wrong. Morab is a nice little mare but jumping was NOT her forte.

So since she has ridden since she was 3 but is NOT jumping as high as her friends I MUST get something that she can ride and show and be competitive at the local shows.So she can FINALLY do a bit of catch up.

DD likes a sensitive forward horse.She does NOT like a deadhead, never EVER has. I was suprised she was NOT intimidated with 16.1 and he really IS that big and he is tattoed.

The nazrulah thing, I do not have MUCH expereince with thorobreds.But one I did was a CRAZY rearing striking b@#%h of a mare that as a 3yr old went over backwards on a friend. REALLY hurt her and THEN at a later date kicked out at her while lunging and broke her wrist.The mare was CRAZY and at a young age.person that owned her bragged about her Nazrulah/bold ruler bloodlines.I then did some reading and have seen it written that they can be fast but HARD to handle.

So thank you for adding that about the bloodlines.

This guy was not a spooky type.He was just fine, not sleeping , just not hot. A down to earth guy.

I actually think he is pretty dang cute (especially for the price- gee whiz send him MY way!). He may not do a rated show in equitation, but I don't think his gait itself is off and that's not what you want him for anyway! I wouldn't be surprised if he relaxed after consistent work with a stronger seat and hands.

I've never bought a horse intended for any kind of jumping without having a complete veterinary exam done by my (and only my) vet. A full exam usually runs about $300, but my vet is very honest and I generally feel confident in whatever decision I make afterwards. At the very least, I would get a soundness exam and x-rays done to be safe. I have ridden hunters with bone chips before, but I wouldn't just brush over it. Tell your vet exactly what height you expect him to go to and he should be able to tell you whether or not it's worth the risk. You may find out he's just a stepping stone for what she really wants to do. Very few kids get to ride the same horse all the way up the ladder!

I agree with everyone who says bloodlines really have very little effect on temperament and, at least, is not what makes them unmanageable. Especially that far back. I don't recommend judging him on his breeding. I have ridden so. many. OTTBs and I really think it has more to do with their training and the environment they have spent the majority of their time in.

Have you not considered a trial period? Some owners are open to this as long as you purchase insurance and some aren't. Most of the time it works out but I did actually have to send a horse back once. Awkward but we were saved from spending too much money on a horse that turned out to be unmanageable in unfamiliar environments.

Please don't judge Thoroughbreds based on one horse.

We had a whole army of Thoroughbreds at the 3rd barn I took lessons at - they were all steady eddies, very, very quiet, and very sensible. I've ridden ones I couldn't get on without two people holding them and me cheeking them, and ones that I couldn't get to GO after I got on, LOL.

Not all are any one way or the other. Compared to other breeds, VERY VERY generally, Thoroughbreds MAY be more energetic, more sensitive, and not always in a good way. For many riders, a Thoroughbred cross is just about ideal. Sensitive without being overly so.

Buckeye, this guy is less than 10 miles from my house.They have a 10 stall barn and much better ring than I have (thiers is flatter). SO IF I moved forward I think I would like to see if she would let me lease him for 30 days at that barn. It is so close and a great place for ring work.

Just a 'feeling' from watching the video with your daughter riding --- it looks as if she's already 'in tune' with this horse and if he's 'green' -- they will learn from each other and make a great team --- sometimes you just 'know' when you are riding a horse (even if it's for the first time) that it's the right one for you ---

If you get the vet-check done, visit again and it still feels 'right' to your daughter, I would take a chance on him --- :)

We bought our daughter's horse against the advice of several trainers -- but 'Dancer' was a super, super mare. She and our daughter did well in the ring but, mainly they were best friends and truly enjoyed each other -- 'Dancer' died at the age of 31 with her head in my lap --

We would have missed one of the 'great ones' if we had followed the advice and not our hearts ===

(I know, I know -- many times it works in reverse -- follow your heart and get it broken)

As someone who has taught riding (and training) for many years, I think he's a great horse for the price. The woman riding him in the first video wasn't very good - she wasn't getting him to move up into the bit, she was just forcing him to tuck his chin. This made him look "hollow" and short strided -hence the "lameness" issues that many are pointing out.

He looks very sound to me, but needs to be pushed up so he's working under himself... he's not driving at all from his hind end currently. Your daughter looked like she did well with him; if you are seriously considering him, I will suggest what someone else mentioned - a trial period. See if you can keep him for 2-3 weeks and do a vet check at the end of it. This will also rule out soundness issues which may be masked by pre-trial bute (the woman having him out/lunging him is very suspicious behavior IMO).

I also hope that you will consider putting him in training with a top trainer for a few months - I think that would help both him and your daughter immensely.

Good luck with him - he seems like a nice horse.

Back
Top Bottom