Horse Possibly Killing Dogs/Coyotes

Quote:
Blue Heelers aka Australian Cattle Dogs actually do not work horses very well. They are able to nip and dodge the heels of cattle, but not horses. Ask mine who had her frontal sinus caved in by my horse... or her 1/2 sister who had cracked ribs. Both could work goats and cattle, but they don't have instincts for horse hooves - I remember reading somewhere it has to do with the angle of the kick versus the angle of the bovine kick.
idunno.gif

Horses frequently kill injure or kill dogs or coyotes. We used to pull up lawn chairs to watch the trainer's horse go like murder after the trainer's dog (we were forbidden to do anything about it). That dog had horse shoe marks on its back nine days out of ten. Eventually it was badly injured and required several surgeries. We never could fathom the logic of the situation.

Having a blue heeler work the horse is not advisable. The dog will probably wind up dead or badly hurt. Heelers get kicked by horses, so do most other dogs, and very frequently. Horses and canines do not mix well. Smaller or younger horses may be panicked and run into fences or trees with severe injuries, larger horses usually turn and fight.

You might want to tell your barn manager so s/he can clean up the area - animal carcasses tend to be associated with botulism toxin in warm parts of the country during rainy seasons.

Last edited:
Id say good horse. my gelding is good around dogs, even young annoying puppies. right up until said dogs shows real aggression to him, his human herd or the horse herd. then its good bye dog. same horse will viciously chase off any other pred, fox/coyote anything that gets too close to him or his perceived herd.

I saw a dog get kicked (hard, intentionally) by a horse once. A corgi. His back was broken instantaneously and quite painfully. It was horrible to watch
hmm.png

But, only in Disney cartoons are animals composed solely of sweetness and light. And really, *wild* horses that went "oh, a cute wolfie, how nice!" would not have left many descendants. It's just the way it is, like cats killing mice. Not all horses have that instinct to the same extent, but I agree with many previous posters, anyone LETTING their dog run loose around horses is not acting responsibly towards the horses *or* towards the dog.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom