Horse Talk

I still have Sneaks, Lilly amd Bert. Bert is pretty much officially retired now. My younger sister just started riding Lilly we end up doing a lot of ponying to say the least..
I am looking at buying these two green brokes and working with them for the summer and then selling them in the fall
Screenshot_20190529-125247.jpg
This is a registered 13 year old Appaloosa gelding.

Screenshot_20190529-134347.jpg

7 year old grade QH mare

THANK YOU! Yes, but he just passed away yesterday! He got really bad colic and couldn't get up. We called the vet but he died before the vet got here. We are so sad!
I have a 14 year old Tennessee Walker mare and I am getting a 15 year old bay horse today from a friend for free!
I read this today, almost a year after he died. I am sorry. We almost lost our Denali (our 11-year-young Tennessee Walker Palomino gelding) to colic last winter. He'd refused to eat (he is usually a real hog) two meals in a row, and then lay down and began to roll. That is the worst thing a colicky horse can do, because it will tie its intestine in knots. We forced him to get up (it was not easy, and regretfully I had to use a rod--he's very afraid of being whipped because, I am sure, the previous owner abused him). We put a halter on him and made him walk in circles. I called a "horsy" friend and he came with his son and we all took turns walking him. Now and then he tried to lie down, and I had to use the rod again. In the meanwhile my wife was trying to get a hold of a vet. There are no large-animal vets within 50 miles from us, and those who live farther than that either diid not answer the phone or said they couldn't come. We took a rubber hose and gave Denali an enema, and we did manage to get him to defecate some. The smell was horrible. Finally my wife got a hold of a vet who knew another who had some kind of medicine to be used in these cases. It really does not do anything for the blockage, but makes the painful spasms stop. The latter vet, upon being contacted by the former agreed to meet me halfway in Enterprise, a city about thirty miles from where I live. I went to Enterprise, we met in front of the Tractor Supply store, and I bought the bottle of medicine and a few hypodermic needles. I hurried back and gave Denali a shot. The poor beast was exhausted and just could not stand any longer. The friend's son got a length of rope and made a harness for him, passing it under his armpits and his waist, to prevent him from lying down and possibly roll. He had pooped again, BTW, and this, too, was extremely foul-smelling stuff. The friends left. The harness was tied to one of the beams of his stall, and although he kept on trying to come free, it held. It must have been very uncomfortable to have that rope pressing on armpit and waist, and he was blustering and--it was obvious--asking to be released. After an hour I gave him a second shot. We waited a bit, and seeing that he seemed more relaxed we took a chance and cut the rope. He wobbled out of the stall and into the contiguous paddock and lay down, but not on his side, as horses do when they are colicky, but in a normal position, upright and with his forelegs folded under his chest, the way deer, too, bed down. Useless to say, we didn't get much sleep that night. One of us would go out to check on him every hour or so. In the morning he was visibly tired and still off the feed. But he was walking around slowly in the pasture, with his head still not held high. Slowly, though, he got better and began to eat, first a little, and then to make up for the missed meal. As I was walking him on a rope he took another poop, a very large one, and this too smelled horribly. I don't mind the smell od cow and horse dung. Actually, I think it's a pleasant smell. But this had a rotten smell. After that, he began to take normal-smelling poops. I am convinced he was very close to dying. There must have been an infected blockage in his intestine. Keeping him from lying down and walking him saved his hide, fortunately. He is a pet, non just a "horse," and he actually thinks he's people...
This may happen again. The ground here is very sandy. I must own the only piece of property in Alabama not covered in red clay. There is no way of keeping horses from ingesting sand while they graze. I know of a beautiful mare in the neighborhood that had to be put out of her misery a few months ago for the same reason. Once the intestine gets twistid, bood vessels in it are choked off, and the intestine begins to die and rot. I guess surgery could save the animal if performed timely. The section of the intestine that is affected is taken out, and the two ends reconnected. But for us there would be no time. We'd have to take the horse all the way to Tuskegee and the cost of surgery would be prohibitive, way beyond our budget. Before this incident, we gave him "Sand Clear," psyllium husk (the main ingredient of Metamucil, the laxative for humans) every first week of the month, for the whole week. Now, as the vet suggested, we give him a dose of it every Monday, morning and evening, with his scoop of Total Equine. As a matter of fact, I give him a double dose. I don't mind if he gets the runs for a day or two (though it's not happened yet), as long as he (and we) don't have to go through such a terrible crisis again. And around here, with no large-animal vets available within maybe a day or two from calling them, if they agree to come at all, the only way to put a horse that is beyond help and suffering out of its misery in a timely manner is the rifle. Not a pleasant prospect.
Incidentally, if for any reason one of you forum members were to keep his/her horse from lying down, don't use a rope as we did. With hindsight I realized that there is a much better way, which would make the horse more comfortable and perhaps more secure also: its saddle. Instead of putting on its back, put it on its belly, fasten it as you would if it were on its back and tie ropes to the stirrups, the cinch strap, and wherever you can tie a rope., forming a rope cage around his flanks. Then pull the ropes tight and tie them to a beam or truss above the stall. Mind you, I have never tried it, nor have I heard or read of anyone doing it, but in theory it seems as though it would work well.

Went on a long ride yesterday evening, checked the new pairs and then the rest of the herd in the next pasture over, and then I went along the creek bottoms for a while. It is to hot to ride during the day today, so I will have to go in the evening

I read this today, almost a year after he died. I am sorry. We almost lost our Denali (our 11-year-young Tennessee Walker Palomino gelding) to colic last winter. He'd refused to eat (he is usually a real hog) two meals in a row, and then lay down and began to roll. That is the worst thing a colicky horse can do, because it will tie its intestine in knots. We forced him to get up (it was not easy, and regretfully I had to use a rod--he's very afraid of being whipped because, I am sure, the previous owner abused him). We put a halter on him and made him walk in circles. I called a "horsy" friend and he came with his son and we all took turns walking him. Now and then he tried to lie down, and I had to use the rod again. In the meanwhile my wife was trying to get a hold of a vet. There are no large-animal vets within 50 miles from us, and those who live farther than that either diid not answer the phone or said they couldn't come. We took a rubber hose and gave Denali an enema, and we did manage to get him to defecate some. The smell was horrible. Finally my wife got a hold of a vet who knew another who had some kind of medicine to be used in these cases. It really does not do anything for the blockage, but makes the painful spasms stop. The latter vet, upon being contacted by the former agreed to meet me halfway in Enterprise, a city about thirty miles from where I live. I went to Enterprise, we met in front of the Tractor Supply store, and I bought the bottle of medicine and a few hypodermic needles. I hurried back and gave Denali a shot. The poor beast was exhausted and just could not stand any longer. The friend's son got a length of rope and made a harness for him, passing it under his armpits and his waist, to prevent him from lying down and possibly roll. He had pooped again, BTW, and this, too, was extremely foul-smelling stuff. The friends left. The harness was tied to one of the beams of his stall, and although he kept on trying to come free, it held. It must have been very uncomfortable to have that rope pressing on armpit and waist, and he was blustering and--it was obvious--asking to be released. After an hour I gave him a second shot. We waited a bit, and seeing that he seemed more relaxed we took a chance and cut the rope. He wobbled out of the stall and into the contiguous paddock and lay down, but not on his side, as horses do when they are colicky, but in a normal position, upright and with his forelegs folded under his chest, the way deer, too, bed down. Useless to say, we didn't get much sleep that night. One of us would go out to check on him every hour or so. In the morning he was visibly tired and still off the feed. But he was walking around slowly in the pasture, with his head still not held high. Slowly, though, he got better and began to eat, first a little, and then to make up for the missed meal. As I was walking him on a rope he took another poop, a very large one, and this too smelled horribly. I don't mind the smell od cow and horse dung. Actually, I think it's a pleasant smell. But this had a rotten smell. After that, he began to take normal-smelling poops. I am convinced he was very close to dying. There must have been an infected blockage in his intestine. Keeping him from lying down and walking him saved his hide, fortunately. He is a pet, non just a "horse," and he actually thinks he's people...
This may happen again. The ground here is very sandy. I must own the only piece of property in Alabama not covered in red clay. There is no way of keeping horses from ingesting sand while they graze. I know of a beautiful mare in the neighborhood that had to be put out of her misery a few months ago for the same reason. Once the intestine gets twistid, bood vessels in it are choked off, and the intestine begins to die and rot. I guess surgery could save the animal if performed timely. The section of the intestine that is affected is taken out, and the two ends reconnected. But for us there would be no time. We'd have to take the horse all the way to Tuskegee and the cost of surgery would be prohibitive, way beyond our budget. Before this incident, we gave him "Sand Clear," psyllium husk (the main ingredient of Metamucil, the laxative for humans) every first week of the month, for the whole week. Now, as the vet suggested, we give him a dose of it every Monday, morning and evening, with his scoop of Total Equine. As a matter of fact, I give him a double dose. I don't mind if he gets the runs for a day or two (though it's not happened yet), as long as he (and we) don't have to go through such a terrible crisis again. And around here, with no large-animal vets available within maybe a day or two from calling them, if they agree to come at all, the only way to put a horse that is beyond help and suffering out of its misery in a timely manner is the rifle. Not a pleasant prospect.
Incidentally, if for any reason one of you forum members were to keep his/her horse from lying down, don't use a rope as we did. With hindsight I realized that there is a much better way, which would make the horse more comfortable and perhaps more secure also: its saddle. Instead of putting on its back, put it on its belly, fasten it as you would if it were on its back and tie ropes to the stirrups, the cinch strap, and wherever you can tie a rope., forming a rope cage around his flanks. Then pull the ropes tight and tie them to a beam or truss above the stall. Mind you, I have never tried it, nor have I heard or read of anyone doing it, but in theory it seems as though it would work well.
Glad to hear your horse was able to survive the night- and then some. I hope all is well today. Colic is terrible business. We live in a sandy area too, have lost a horse to colic (awful death till the bullet), another a long, hard and $$ battle and know a few folks who have also lost their horses or have on going trouble with it. Not that sand is the only cause but 'sand colic' is a thing. Thanks for sharing your experience. A good tale and reminder. Lots of folks here give red bran too. I do the sand rid but have also used the bran. Made into a cold soup they love it. Docs waffle whether it is helpful or not.

Glad I am not the only one waiting out the heat to go for a ride. I miss the winter already as it has been brutally hot here and everything is scorching. Definitely taxing my pleasant disposition lol. Been so busy too and young thing does not take long to become bad if he does not work out. He tossed me on my butt last week to remind me. Did not hurt too much until I finished all of the yard work. We had guests coming and needing to impress them with a clean and manicured home and yard was a must. A couple of aspirins helped. DH is down and all work has fallen on to me. IMG_20190514_180926766.jpg

To top it off, anybody have experience with sarcoids? My 5yo had a spot on his neck diagnosed as a sarcoid. I applied xxtera for the 5 days recommended and scab fell off, like said. I had to leave town for DH medical emergency and the gal who was feeding my horse did NOT put on protective ointment till the day before i got home (5 days). Thing looked terrible. Vet shot with Depo 120mg mixed with LRS along with ivermectin as a topical along with oral 2x this month, to see if it would respond as mass looked like it mutated to a "summer sore". It is looking a bit better today and i am hopeful. Don't want vet to have to cut. Again, anybody have experience with sarcoids? Big mahalo! IMG_20190517_182417082_HDR.jpg

I would rather have to ride in heat than have winter back, I live in North Dakota. By time it cooled down today I was beat, so I did not ride. I am hoping sometime later this week, maybe Saturday I can go look at one of those horses.
I have never had one with a sarcoid, hopefully it heals up well.

I would rather have to ride in heat than have winter back, I live in North Dakota. By time it cooled down today I was beat, so I did not ride. I am hoping sometime later this week, maybe Saturday I can go look at one of those horses.
I have never had one with a sarcoid, hopefully it heals up well.
ha ha! OK.... good point. I'll quit complaining about the heat for a little while ;)
My dad was from Adams, N Dakota. Grandma rests in Grandforks. I know the stories well... brrrrrr.

Nice nudge! It has been over a year since last posting... (wow, flash back) and what a year it has been. Thought 2019 was harsh... 2020 is almost insane but still has 6 months to go. Yikes.

Went on a few trail rides on young thing a few weeks ago but have not been on for a bit. It is horribly hot and I have lost my groove. Plus playing with chickens.
Sarcoid is gone. Last treatment worked. It got worse b4 better and I reapplied the xxtera as a last ditch effort b4 we had to cut it out, but a few days after application we had the turn around we needed. He has a very mild scar and I am very happy about the fact I can hardly see it.
11301~2.jpeg
15783.jpeg
20200508_114447.jpg
15758.jpeg
15871.jpeg

Such a good boy

Back
Top Bottom