Horse Talk

Pics
I need some advice. I, like every other horse lover, have realized that I want to train horses, wether it's for a living or just a hobby doesn't really matter to me, but training June has been the most amazing feeling thing that I have ever done and I want to keep doing it. I know I have a ton to learn still, but I know if I try hard enough I can make it happen. And luckily I do have a slight advantage, becuase I have a place to do it, money left to me by my grandpa, and all the time in the world, so I can really focus on it. But obviously, before I try to start training people's horses, I need more experience, becuase I still don't know very much. My cousin was going to let me try to train her two horses, becuase they were halter broke once upon a time but have just been sitting out in the field and are going to keep sitting out there, so it'd be win win becuase they'd actually be able to do some stuff with their horses and I'd gain some experience, but to say the least, my cousins are a little flaky and I don't think it's going to happen. I'm actually pretty devastated, because even after training June and those two horses, I was still going to need to find a way to gain more experience, but now I REALLY need to find a way. My parents suggested buying some 2.5-3 year olds and doing the same thing I've done with June and getting them finished, and then just selling them, that way I can practice more and not be over run with horses. But I'm worried I'll get attached. Any ideas for gaining experience? I've got all summer to work with horses, every day, heck I've got all year, so lots and lots of time, but no horses to practice with!

I need some advice. I, like every other horse lover, have realized that I want to train horses, wether it's for a living or just a hobby doesn't really matter to me, but training June has been the most amazing feeling thing that I have ever done and I want to keep doing it. I know I have a ton to learn still, but I know if I try hard enough I can make it happen. And luckily I do have a slight advantage, becuase I have a place to do it, money left to me by my grandpa, and all the time in the world, so I can really focus on it. But obviously, before I try to start training people's horses, I need more experience, becuase I still don't know very much. My cousin was going to let me try to train her two horses, becuase they were halter broke once upon a time but have just been sitting out in the field and are going to keep sitting out there, so it'd be win win becuase they'd actually be able to do some stuff with their horses and I'd gain some experience, but to say the least, my cousins are a little flaky and I don't think it's going to happen. I'm actually pretty devastated, because even after training June and those two horses, I was still going to need to find a way to gain more experience, but now I REALLY need to find a way. My parents suggested buying some 2.5-3 year olds and doing the same thing I've done with June and getting them finished, and then just selling them, that way I can practice more and not be over run with horses. But I'm worried I'll get attached. Any ideas for gaining experience? I've got all summer to work with horses, every day, heck I've got all year, so lots and lots of time, but no horses to practice with!

That's the best way to gain experience is to train 2-3 year olds and finish them.
One of he ways you can not get attached is to find someone who will buy the horse when its done being trained, that way you know that you can't keep it

Hm, I guess that wouldn't be so bad. What would be the best way about going about finding a home before its trained?

Hm, I guess that wouldn't be so bad. What would be the best way about going about finding a home before its trained?

Advertise on facebook that you are going to train horses, put down your experience, and what you plan on training them for, whether its rodeo, ranch, all around, English etc.
You may also find people who will already have horses, but they need one trained.

Okay, thanks for the advice! There's a few horse groups I'm a part of on Facebook too, so I could probably advertise to people in there. And my parents said if I got one that ended being a real calm laid back horse like June and my sister wanted to keep it once it was broke we would be able to keep one lol. So maybe I'll try to get started on looking for some soon. I do want to work with June a while longer before I take on a new project, but she's starting to do really good, maybe once my sister gets out of school I can start. She likes helping me with the feeding and brushing and ground work and she likes to ride June, so she could be helpful as long as she's not doing any of the potentially dangerous stuff. She'd probably be happy to make sure June gets enough time spent with her if I get really busy. Would it be best to just go with quarter horse geldings?

Okay, thanks for the advice! There's a few horse groups I'm a part of on Facebook too, so I could probably advertise to people in there. And my parents said if I got one that ended being a real calm laid back horse like June and my sister wanted to keep it once it was broke we would be able to keep one lol. So maybe I'll try to get started on looking for some soon. I do want to work with June a while longer before I take on a new project, but she's starting to do really good, maybe once my sister gets out of school I can start. She likes helping me with the feeding and brushing and ground work and she likes to ride June, so she could be helpful as long as she's not doing any of the potentially dangerous stuff. She'd probably be happy to make sure June gets enough time spent with her if I get really busy. Would it be best to just go with quarter horse geldings?

I guess I like mares better, but I think both would do fine.

Also consider paints sicne paints and quarters are both very good all around horses

I prefer mares too haha and so does my sister! It just seems like everyone around here is always looking for geldings. And oh yeah, paints would probably do good around here. Would you suggest doing this with registered horses or grade?

I prefer mares too haha and so does my sister! It just seems like everyone around here is always looking for geldings. And oh yeah, paints would probably do good around here. Would you suggest doing this with registered horses or grade?

I don't think it should matter. To me a good horse Is a good horse

Back
Top Bottom