Horse Talk

Pics
If I have a horse that doesn't know how to canter I ride with a crop for a couple of days. When you ask for a canter, tap with the crop if they don't do what you are asking. On another note, if you are unbalanced it is going to be uncomfortable for the horse to change gaits and that may be why they are reluctant to canter.

The other thing I do is go out on the trail with another horse. Have the other horse canter in front of you and then your horse will canter to keep up. I have had horses that hate working in the arena and won't canter in there. Even my little pony won't canter in the arena until I pop her with a crop. Out on the trail she is quite hot and wants to run all over the place.

I don't think I'll have much trouble getting her to canter, I'll probably use the riding whip though, I did to teach her to trot with it too. But if that doesn't work I can just take her out in the field because I had her out there for a few minutes yesterday and she wanted to go go go. But I'm going to make sure I wait until a day where she's not throwing her head around and being weird before I canter her, just to make sure I don't have any problems.
And yes she is growing up! It's happening so fast too, those pictures are only a month apart. I rode her bareback the other day and her back even felt different, it was actually really comfy lol. She's gonna be such a good looking horse once shes matured. Not that she's not already, she's adorable!

I don't think I'll have much trouble getting her to canter, I'll probably use the riding whip though, I did to teach her to trot with it too. But if that doesn't work I can just take her out in the field because I had her out there for a few minutes yesterday and she wanted to go go go. But I'm going to make sure I wait until a day where she's not throwing her head around and being weird before I canter her, just to make sure I don't have any problems.
And yes she is growing up! It's happening so fast too, those pictures are only a month apart. I rode her bareback the other day and her back even felt different, it was actually really comfy lol. She's gonna be such a good looking horse once shes matured. Not that she's not already, she's adorable!
She looks great! You must be working with her a lot- muscles don't come from no where!

Automatic waterer and a pond but this is her first choice for a drink

Automatic waterer and a pond but this is her first choice for a drink
Ha! I know what you mean... My two are the same way :rolleyes:

Question for you all... My mare has been havhaving a loss of appetite. It worries me because it's something she's never done before. I have been moving them both to a new pasture with a lot of grass during the day. The pasture they're in the rest of the time just has a little grass. Could it be that she's just not hungry from eating more grass than she's used to? I usually have here (3quart scoops) 1 of triple crown senior and 3 of the stuff for seniors that they make around here. She's only finishing at least 2/4 scoops if even that. I even gave her less last night and she still left half a bowl and my mini got into it :/
If it continues on longer, I'm going to get the vet out. She won't be on pasture over the weekend, but I won't be here to watch her, so I'm going to maybe experiment during this week.

Question for you all... My mare has been havhaving a loss of appetite. It worries me because it's something she's never done before. I have been moving them both to a new pasture with a lot of grass during the day. The pasture they're in the rest of the time just has a little grass. Could it be that she's just not hungry from eating more grass than she's used to? I usually have here (3quart scoops) 1 of triple crown senior and 3 of the stuff for seniors that they make around here. She's only finishing at least 2/4 scoops if even that. I even gave her less last night and she still left half a bowl and my mini got into it :/
If it continues on longer, I'm going to get the vet out. She won't be on pasture over the weekend, but I won't be here to watch her, so I'm going to maybe experiment during this week.

Maybe to much green grass. Where I live a lot of horses eat to much green grass and don't want to eat anymore.
It'd be like a person eating a whole batch if cookie dough

Maybe to much green grass. Where I live a lot of horses eat to much green grass and don't want to eat anymore.
It'd be like a person eating a whole batch if cookie dough
How many days a week do you think she should be on grass? I'm also considering a muzzle for the little guy... I think he's getting too much grass for his little body..
They would be in the pasture at least 8-12 hours a day and so far it has been about 3 days a week (5 at most)

I'm going to keep them off the new pasture tomorrow and see how Cinnamon's appetite is then. Then I'll know for sure. Eli (the mini) doesn't seem to be *too* big right now, but I don't want him getting really overweight. I just am not sure how he'd react wearing a grazing muzzle. I was thinking once the round pen is finished I can make sure he's calm with it in there, but I won't make him wear it if I don't need to.

Back
Top Bottom