I lunged Tucker yesterday. He did amazing and it's pretty clear that he was trained well.
(as a side note, it is pretty rare for me to post pics with me in them, not that I don't like how I look, I just hate pictures of myself, BUT that is me in the pictures)
When we first pulled up in the side by side he was at the far end of the 3 acre field, we called his name once (ONCE PEOPLE) and he let loose a beautiful whinny and came galloping to meet us at the gate. Last pictures are him running to meet us...
View attachment 3432405View attachment 3432409View attachment 3432407View attachment 3432408View attachment 3432416View attachment 3432417View attachment 3432418
You're beautiful and so is he. You are radiating horse happiness! Congrats! And nice longeing position! Are you going to ride him western/trail?

Oh, the yellow tails of winter. Never again will I get a gray horse.

Here's my recipe.
Spray N Wash (the laundry stain remover) the whole tail. Rub in well and rinse.
Goop the whole tail (yeah, the stuff that gets out working guys' stained hands. Rub in well and rinse.
Shampoo with a conditioning shampoo that has blue in it - or add Mrs. Stewart's blueing to your shampoo. Careful - it will stain your hands. Rinse well.
Follow with a leave-in conditioner such as a hair mask/oil treatment.
I personally think Show Sheen is great as a leave-in finisher but it does contain silicone which some people think dries out the tail.

How do you deal with stupid people who have no idea what they’re talking about?

There’s this one lady at my barn and she keeps telling people how much I payed for my horse and that she’s not worth that much and that she’s only worth like 2k max (even tho the horse is a very experienced showjumper) and kept saying that I should get rid of her and get a proper horse? And that my horse is so old and I’ll have to retire her next year (even tho she’s 14). Like seriously?! Since when is that her business?
It just annoys me so much. Rant over :)
Oh my goodness. Those people bug me so much. Especially those who don't have much experience, but go around saying things like, "So and so had no business buying that horse, it's too much for them." And judge how they handle their horse, but fall off their own horse frequently, are harsh with them, and can't catch it.

There’s this one lady at my barn and she keeps telling people how much I payed for my horse and that she’s not worth that much and that she’s only worth like 2k max (even tho the horse is a very experienced showjumper) and kept saying that I should get rid of her and get a proper horse? And that my horse is so old and I’ll have to retire her next year (even tho she’s 14). Like seriously?! Since when is that her business?
Unfortunately there’s not really anything you can do but ignore her. I know it sucks when people criticize your horse (I do), but in the end, all that really matters is what you think of your horse, and what you know she is capable of. Some people can’t just mind their own business and always gotta pretend they know everything.

Very soft, doesn’t care if I touch it at all, like no reaction to even pinching it and/or moving it around, kind of just beneath the skin, loosely attached. I’m thinking fatty cyst, I saw one like this on a goat and it was benign, was just wondering what y’all thought of it.
Don't know much about goats, but I've seen many lipomas (harmless fatty cysts) on dogs and people, but never happened to see one on a horse myself - definitely get your vet to put a needle in it and send a cell sample to the lab, just to confirm that it's harmless and if you get it removed (so it won't interfere with the girth and cause irritation) it won't grow back worse.

You just got me started, so sorry, but here comes my TLDR rant ...
The horse industry is currently insane, so nobody, even the most knowledgeable professionals, have the ability to assess what any horse will be worth to any rider/potential owner in any part of the country (assuming you are in the USA).
Last year's drought means hay prices are all over the place, from hay growers depending for their livelihood on how much hay they can export this year and contracts in the future to other countries, which is uncertain, and which causes a hay shortage here and raises hay prices and therefore boarding prices.
At the same time, the uncertainty of how much it costs to feed a horse drives up the price for a trained horse, top prices for one that's well-bred, super expensive if it's well-bred and trained. A horse of even mediocre breeding, as long as it is healthy and trained to ride for some discipline, can be sold for $$$.
Because there are still too many backyard breeders, certain areas auction decent horses for next to nothing, to get rid of untrained sloppily-bred youngsters,

Don't know much about goats, but I've seen many lipomas (harmless fatty cysts) on dogs and people, but never happened to see one on a horse myself - definitely get your vet to put a needle in it and send a cell sample to the lab, just to confirm that it's harmless and if you get it removed (so it won't interfere with the girth and cause irritation) it won't grow back worse.
Before I even called the vet, I went back out to the barn to check it out the next day, and it’s gone, shrunk down to nothing🤷‍♀️

Unfortunately there’s not really anything you can do but ignore her. I know it sucks when people criticize your horse (I do), but in the end, all that really matters is what you think of your horse, and what you know she is capable of. Some people can’t just mind their own business and always gotta pretend they know everything.
Yeah but she’s literally so annoying. Last time we ran out of hard feed she stole my high energy feed and fed all the horse with it (without my permission). And the next thing I see is videos of some of those horses going totally crazy (with kids on them). She also openly admitted to stealing people’s feed. So yeah :)

So the horse I ride has some interesting behaviors with me that I've never had a horse do before, I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas.
The main thing is that when I dismount, he stands still for about a second, and if I don't move, he backs up and puts his head in line with my body. He will also sometimes back up if we are walking on the ground without contact and I tell him to stop, and his head isn't next to me.
Also trying to adjust stirrups, if I don't sidestep with my body almost flat against him, he pivots and puts his head to me.
Mounting at the block is also becoming a problem, he tries to move like he's over-reading my body language, backing, walking, and pivoting.
As far as I know, no one else that rides him has these experiences. He's not well trained for anything like that(showmanship, lunging, body language things), I'm not pressing any buttons. It's so odd and he's just started doing it the last few months.
We do have a very good bond and I wonder if it's somewhat a reflection of that, but he wasn't doing it last year. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom