Hot composting with chicken bedding and garden waste

We're up to 32 C (90 F) in the box. I gave it a little stir, and moved some stuff from batch 4 to batch 3 to keep it full and make space for future deposits. With the amount of steam it was putting out, I would not want to put my hand into that compost right now.Tomorrow morning I will start turning properly.
Because of the heat? 90F isn't even body temp......it wouldn't hurt but it sure would stink ;-)

Not sure how much cooler the air needs to be to create steam, probably not much.

I should not be left alone at home for the weekend. It bothered me that I had no way of measuring the core temperature of the compost, so I started digging around looking for some materials, and threw together this:

It's a cheap Chinese thermometer with a corded sensor. The tube is electric tubing, and I sealed the thing with some vacuum packer plastic and heat shrink tubing. It's about half a meter long, so it reaches the middle of the pile. I stuck it into the pile a moment ago, and the temperature stopped climbing at 53 C (127 F). When I went to put it into the pile, the thermometer that measures the air temperature above the pile read 34 C (93 F).

Last edited:
Quote: That temp is the air at the top of the box. The core is probably about 50-60 C (120-140 F) by now, if not more. And that starts to burn pretty quickly. I still haven't replaced my thermometer I used for measuring core temps, so I don't have accurate readings.
Ooohhhhhh Now I see.

I should not be left alone at home for the weekend. It bothered me that I had no way of measuring the core temperature of the compost, so I started digging around looking for some materials, and threw together this:

It's a cheap Chinese thermometer with a corded sensor. The tube is electric tubing, and I sealed the thing with some vacuum packer plastic and heat shrink tubing. It's about half a meter long, so it reaches the middle of the pile. I stuck it into the pile a moment ago, and the temperature stopped climbing at 53 C (127 F). When I went to put it into the pile, the thermometer that measures the air temperature above the pile read 34 C (93 F).
You have some very interesting 'stuff' laying about, you know? By any chance are you an electrician of some sort?
BTW nice job with a thrown together item!!
Scott

I can handle carpentry, basic plumbing, roofing etc, but electricity I try to stick away from. Last time I fixed a lamp my hand was numb for a day and a half. The heat shrink I use to make dog leashes, and the electric pipe I bought to frame the covers to our raised beds.

I can handle carpentry, basic plumbing, roofing etc, but electricity I try to stick away from. Last time I fixed a lamp my hand was numb for a day and a half. The heat shrink I use to make dog leashes, and the electric pipe I bought to frame the covers to our raised beds.
lau.gif

Sorry. It probably wasn't funny at the time was it?

Actually, it was. I can laugh at my own stupidity even when it happens. Do check which cable you should be working with though, and unplug a cable before installing a new breaker.

Back
Top Bottom