Hot composting with chicken bedding and garden waste

Well that would just be too easy
big_smile.png
I've been looking in stores, all I can find are the kinds that are meant for cooking, and the spike is too short on those. The ones available online are either crazy expensive (starting at around 50 USD, add to shipping, easily 20-30 bucks, and then to the total 24% VAT plus possible customs fees), or then they're slightly more affordable with a imperial scale (which is just silly) and the shipping is still an issue. Also, I don't want a digital thermometer, since I want it to sit inside the compost. I prefer to be picky and complain instead.
big_smile.png
Well I can understand that then, that's too bad........it can be fun to 'invent' thing or hack a semi-working alternative.

Well that would just be too easy
big_smile.png
I've been looking in stores, all I can find are the kinds that are meant for cooking, and the spike is too short on those. The ones available online are either crazy expensive (starting at around 50 USD, add to shipping, easily 20-30 bucks, and then to the total 24% VAT plus possible customs fees), or then they're slightly more affordable with a imperial scale (which is just silly) and the shipping is still an issue. Also, I don't want a digital thermometer, since I want it to sit inside the compost. I prefer to be picky and complain instead.
big_smile.png
They used to make bi-metallic ones that were meant to go thru walls of an walk in cooler or steam room.
adding a thought, new post
Scott

Last edited:
Well, now I actually found one at an affordable price. Strange, I've been through the webshop of the same thermometer manufacturer before, but hadn't found it then. Costs 15 euros, with a 40cm (16") spike. Shipping is another 7 euros, but I might just go pick it up from them next time I'm headed in that direction.

Scott, those would work too, but the spike is usually a bit short on them, at least the ones I've seen.

Well, now I actually found one at an affordable price. Strange, I've been through the webshop of the same thermometer manufacturer before, but hadn't found it then. Costs 15 euros, with a 40cm (16") spike. Shipping is another 7 euros, but I might just go pick it up from them next time I'm headed in that direction.

Scott, those would work too, but the spike is usually a bit short on them, at least the ones I've seen.
Cool Beans!!

They also make capillary tube temperature gauges that you could read without opening the lid.
scott

Scott, but getting the probe in the middle of the pile would be difficult without risking breaking it while mixing.

Morning temps were 8 C outside, 45 C in the air in the box, 65 C in the core.

Temps are holding steady. The level of the pile is going down a bit. I added some water in the morning (maybe 4 gallons), because it was looking a bit dry. The heat really drives out the humidity, it's steaming like crazy in there.

Scott, but getting the probe in the middle of the pile would be difficult without risking breaking it while mixing.

Morning temps were 8 C outside, 45 C in the air in the box, 65 C in the core.
Not sure but I think maybe he (or somebody) was suggesting to plunge a piece of pipe or rebar into the center of your pile, pull it back out and then insert your thermothingamabob.

Quote: Aart suggested that, the model Scott suggested would be permanently mounted on the side of the compost. It would either only measure the side of the pile, or then it would reach to the middle but be in the way during turning.
You are right about that Felix, The capillary tube is not as sturdy as a person would like and don't like being moved about a lot.
Just a thought from back in the good old days.
Scott

Back
Top Bottom