Hot Swelling near comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nicosmo, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Nicosmo

Nicosmo In the Brooder

Sep 16, 2019
    Illinois
    IMG_20190914_224436502.jpg IMG_20190914_224502405.jpg IMG_20190914_224406209_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    Please help
    Super
    hot growth, growing larger every day, her head is hot!
    Growth is firm but not hard, as it gets bigger it's pushing her comb over. Not affecting her eye or sinus, no breathing problems..
    Really not sure what it is, possible bug bite, but not seeing anything obvious.
    Hen is not eating or drinking much
    Poop is white/green
    She's isolated and I have given her nutidrench and compresses, but using cool water
    Please help

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  2. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    Pics are not real clear. Is there any visible wounds. Since it’s fevered she may need antibiotics. Others may know more. Keep an eye on how much she is eating and keep hydrated.

Nicosmo likes this.
  3. Nicosmo

Nicosmo In the Brooder

Sep 16, 2019
    Illinois
    Sorry about the pics, she wouldn't stay still
    No wound and didn't see any type of bite or visible sting
    It started with a visible loss of feathers there and then a increase of swelling every time I check on her. Her head is very hot. I think I should Lance it?

4. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Is this something that just happened, or has it been going on for a while? The pictures just aren't clear enough to really tell. If you suspect a bite or sting, then you can give 1/4 of a 25mg benadryl tablet and give it once in 24 hours to see if it reduces. Don't give more than once, or overdose. I will also often apply a poultice of echinacea angustifolia to the site. It may be difficult to get it to stay on the comb however, if she shakes her head. You can find in in capsules, but there are several types of echinacea, so make sure to get the correct one for best results (purpurea is most common, it will not have the same results). Make a paste with warm water with the contents of the capsules and apply to the area (it won't hurt her if she eats the paste). Then I usually cover with a small bit of plastic wrap and then bandage over it, to keep it moist and hold it on. It needs to stay on for as long as you can keep it there, several hours at least. If you can figure how to do that on that particular area, then in might help. A bit of gauze kept moist would work also, without using the plastic wrap, you would need to re moisten as necessary.

5. Nicosmo

Nicosmo In the Brooder

Sep 16, 2019
    Illinois
    Thanks for your help
    Been going on for 5 days, started with what looked like missing feathers and swelled each day more, stretched skin but not red, got heat in it after a few days. No obvious bite or sting or any marks/wounds
    We just performed surgery, tried to Lance it, nothing but blood, perhaps we didn't hit the right spot or go deep enough, but did the best we could. I'm really thinking bug bite or something under the comb,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: