Hot treats on COLD Days

AllChookUp

Will Shut Up for Chocolate
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Frozen Lake, MN
I use Buff Hooligans' "Treats Chart" found on her website regularly.
An excellent resource, if you haven't use it yet. Here's a link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

I have been bringing my BOs and GLWs a treat of warm oatmeal with grapes and raisins mixed in on quite a few of the really cold days we've had lately.

They seem to be getting tired of it. More and more of it is left over and frozen when I check on them. They used to literally ATTACK it when I first started bringing it to them. Maybe they're getting finicky?

What other warm treats do you all give your chickens on cold days?

Last edited:
Chook

Have you tried Cream of Wheat? Mine go nuts over it!

I also give them warmed up cooked spinach and fruit mixed in with the oatmeal and/or cream of wheat - they love that too - and it gives them some added vitamins.

they can have oranges? I didnt know that - see learned something new today!

I need to go look at Buffs chart again - I have it printed out on my fridge
big_smile.png

Mine love warm peaches, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, and pears all mixed together (cut up small) in with either the oatmeal or wheat above - stand back though because they see them and YEOW - its a madhouse!

Chook - just thought of another thing you could feed them..

how about plain old shredded wheat (not frosted) and/or Grape Nuts cereal warmed with water and mixed??

I havent tried it yet (I'm assuming both are safe...) but am going to.... will let you know how mine like it
big_smile.png

Last edited:
AllChook, that's so funny you should bring this up. I was just thinking this morning as I was drinking my cold, unappetizing milk stuff, that I should be going back to warm oatmeal.

The girls and I used to split a batch every morning until not too long ago. Then, just like you, I started finding more and more of it left over when I collected the dishes at night. So they just get veggies and a ripe banana every morning.

English Chick (the Queen Mum) recommends raw oatmeal and grits/corn in winter, and she says it helps start them laying again to eventually. I have upped the seeds this winter - millet, wild bird food, B.O.S.S., etc.

But no more oatmeal ... Gee, what we chicken parents go through...

I consider it my civic duty, neigh my civic destiny to find all posts made by my friends and throw them off topic.

TNT

Dynomite!

Back
Top Bottom