Hot Weather Mash

MommaG2023

Songster
Apr 16, 2023
Pennsylvania
In my area it has been ridiculously hot for Spring. Today it is a lovely scorching 77 but feels like 80. That is normally our early summer temps and we are all feeling the heat...especially my pullets and cockerels. To cool things off and let my babies have a treat I whip up a hot weather mash. It isn't anything more than crumbles and scratch and very cold water with several ice cubes to keep it cool. My Chickies LOVE it! Also they seem to cool off and pant less for a little while after. Does anyone else make hot or cold weather treats for their Chickies? If so what and how often do you give them their treats?
IMG20230528140253.jpg

In my area it has been ridiculously hot for Spring. Today it is a lovely scorching 77 but feels like 80. That is normally our early summer temps and we are all feeling the heat...especially my pullets and cockerels. To cool things off and let my babies have a treat I whip up a hot weather mash. It isn't anything more than crumbles and scratch and very cold water with several ice cubes to keep it cool. My Chickies LOVE it! Also they seem to cool off and pant less for a little while after. Does anyone else make hot or cold weather treats for their Chickies? If so what and how often do you give them their treats?View attachment 3521113
Mine loves watermelon and frozen fruit, I live in Europe so it doesn’t get more than 90 degrees where I live but frozen fruit is always a hit in my coop, the frozen mash you have made is a really good idea and I might try that when it gets hot here😊
When it’s cold I feed mine oatmeal that’s slightly warm with some good vitamins In it😊

I whip up a hot weather mash. It isn't anything more than crumbles and scratch and very cold water with several ice cubes to keep it cool. My Chickies LOVE it!
I've done an even simpler version: crumbles and cold water (no scratch, no ice cubes.) Yes, very popular with practically all chickens!

I've used almost the same thing in winter too, just with warm water instead of cold water.

I've also used pellets instead of crumbles. The pellets take an extra minute or two to swell up and fall apart, but the final mash is the same either way.

I've done an even simpler version: crumbles and cold water (no scratch, no ice cubes.) Yes, very popular with practically all chickens!

I've used almost the same thing in winter too, just with warm water instead of cold water.

I've also used pellets instead of crumbles. The pellets take an extra minute or two to swell up and fall apart, but the final mash is the same either way.
I'll have to try the simpler method if my BIG Momma gets more hefty. 👍

Mine loves watermelon and frozen fruit, I live in Europe so it doesn’t get more than 90 degrees where I live but frozen fruit is always a hit in my coop, the frozen mash you have made is a really good idea and I might try that when it gets hot here😊
When it’s cold I feed mine oatmeal that’s slightly warm with some good vitamins In it😊
I toss a few pieces of banana at them but haven't tried the frozen fruits...they seem to avoid most people food though...which is weird to me but they love to try and eat the paper plates the food is on lol 😂

I toss a few pieces of banana at them but haven't tried the frozen fruits...they seem to avoid most people food though...which is weird to me but they love to try and eat the paper plates the food is on lol 😂
Hahaha
mine will eat or at least try to eat everything they see me eat so a little nibble on a piece of fruit in front of them will make them go CRAZY for fruit, especially blueberries,bananas and melons🤣

Hahaha
mine will eat or at least try to eat everything they see me eat so a little nibble on a piece of fruit in front of them will make them go CRAZY for fruit, especially blueberries,bananas and melons🤣
Good idea! Thanks I will try it...they do try to check out my coffee ☕ in the morning when I am drinking it and one or another is on my lap. Mostly they just peck my mug lol...I can't share my coffee with my Chickies or anyone..lol

It isn't anything more than crumbles and scratch and very cold water with several ice cubes to keep it cool. My Chickies LOVE it! Also they seem to cool off and pant less for a little while after. Does anyone else make hot or cold weather treats for their Chickies? If so what and how often do you give them their treats?
I do the same thing.

If you want to give them some electrolytes to help them deal with extreme heat or cold, you can sprinkle some Sav-A-Chick (or similar) powder on the crumble before you add the water. That way you know they're getting it.

If you want to give them some electrolytes to help them deal with extreme heat or cold, you can sprinkle some Sav-A-Chick (or similar) powder on the crumble before you add the water. That way you know they're getting it.
I've looked at what's in electrolyte mixes. Aren't all of those things in the feed anyway? What is the point of adding more?

Back
Top Bottom