HOTTEST BREEDS 2021

What is the hottest breed in the US 2021?!

• Total voters
Has anyone heard of the death layer? Their eggs are going for much on eBay
Deathlayer The Westfalische Totleger, better known as the Deathlayer, is an very old and very rare German breed. While there is some debate on how they got the coolest name in the chicken world the most common explanation seems to be based on their egg production. They were said to lay an egg a day until the day they died.

I’ll change it into a poll. Are you NPIP CERTIFIED? IF so I would like to purchase some of the Isabella Wyandotte. I just got my first Wyandottes, but they are red laced black and I love them!
I am on my first generation (lav x black and blue laced red) and it will likely be a few years before they are available. I do hope to be NPIP certified and have already made contact with my state agency who have been dragging their feet.. due to other priorities like New castle's disease and presumably now the whole Covid thing. Thank you for asking.. I'm super excited to be working on them, I hope they come out utilitarian and beautiful! :cool:
this New? I have never heard of it?
It's part of the agriculture laws in the US, set up to protect us from polonium typhoid. it has been largely successful program and is working to make adjustment to incorporate new understanding and include other disease and viruses of concern.. The following link is the site and the excerpt after was taken from it..

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...ide/Poultry/National-Poultry-Improvement-Plan

Three types of participants are involved in the NPIP: independent flocks, hatcheries, and dealers. The poultry products certified by the NPIP are hatching eggs, baby chicks, poults, and started pullets. The vast majority of U.S. States prohibit the entry of any poultry shipments except those designated pullorum- typhoid clean. Essentially, such bans mean that poultry moving interstate should participate in the “U.S. Pullorum-Typhoid Clean” program of the NPIP or be tested negative for pullorum-typhoid before leaving their home State. Fifteen States require that all shipments of turkeys they receive be MG clean. Essentially, that requirement means that turkeys moving interstate should participate in the “U.S. MG Clean” program of the NPIP or be tested free of MG before shipment.

Always been this way I think, but its not enforced 👍 ive shipped eggs for years and never been or plan on being NPIP. Lots of good breeders arent NPIP and they still ship chicks and eggs 🤟
It isn't enforced by the United States Postal Service.. because they are JUST shippers and it isn't their job. That sort of stuff is enforced by the state and/or federal departments of agriculture.

However watch big chicken lobby our law makers and take away our right to keep back yard poultry at all! Please reconsider NOT serving the all mighty $ by shipping eggs illegally. Possibly spreading disease you don't know or CARE about.

For that matter.. your blatant disregard for the law (not even ignorance of it) and trying to convince others to follow you is a little saddening to me, but not uncommon at all. :confused:

No I don't like or agree with all the laws. But I abide the to the best of my ability, knowledge, and understanding.. at the time. I promise you I have ZERO room to try and "cast any stones" or point any fingers about anything at anyone. I'm guilty of something, NO doubt! :smack

Many breeders do choose not to comply with NPIP.. which as far as I"m concerned is a false sense of security anyways but still value what LITTLE protection it DOES offer! Some states offer testing and enrollment completely free. Others try and make it prohibitive to an average hobbyist.

No breeder worth their salt will illegally ship eggs or chicks across state lines without proper certification OR documentation. They don't have to!

Talking with those who do it seriously.. can often get land/tax write offs and all kinds of other things that can offset cost. I do NOT want to be filing taxes and crud for my hobby, I'm retired. But there is serious money to be had in livestock.

Anyways, I hope you will reconsider bio security as important for us ALL and best wishes on your future adventures! :fl

Apologies OP. I hope everyone keeps their flocks safe as they make news additions this year! Excited to see the poll, too. :wee

Maybe to make them bigger?
My guess is to increase egg production. A well bred choco orp (I don’t have one but just poking around the ‘net) should be big and fluffy. Hoover’s Australorps are nice but I wouldn’t call them particularly big and fluffy, but are good egg producers. (I think well bred australorps are supposed to be fairly large also?)

Only bred on that list I even have is blrw not sure why people even like ayams there just basically smooth feathered silkies but im working on a tolbunt wyandotte, chocolate ameracanas and lavender wyandottes. Those are the hot breeds for me

My guess is to increase egg production. A well bred choco orp (I don’t have one but just poking around the ‘net) should be big and fluffy. Hoover’s Australorps are nice but I wouldn’t call them particularly big and fluffy, but are good egg producers. (I think well bred australorps are supposed to be fairly large also?)
I do like these newfangled super egg layers.

Back
Top Bottom