HOTTEST BREEDS 2021

What is the hottest breed in the US 2021?!

• Total voters
It's part of the agriculture laws in the US, set up to protect us from polonium typhoid. it has been largely successful program and is working to make adjustment to incorporate new understanding and include other disease and viruses of concern.. The following link is the site and the excerpt after was taken from it..

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...ide/Poultry/National-Poultry-Improvement-Plan

Three types of participants are involved in the NPIP: independent flocks, hatcheries, and dealers. The poultry products certified by the NPIP are hatching eggs, baby chicks, poults, and started pullets. The vast majority of U.S. States prohibit the entry of any poultry shipments except those designated pullorum- typhoid clean. Essentially, such bans mean that poultry moving interstate should participate in the “U.S. Pullorum-Typhoid Clean” program of the NPIP or be tested negative for pullorum-typhoid before leaving their home State. Fifteen States require that all shipments of turkeys they receive be MG clean. Essentially, that requirement means that turkeys moving interstate should participate in the “U.S. MG Clean” program of the NPIP or be tested free of MG before

Thanks for informing me! I heard of NPIP but thought of it as just another government program. I have done business with breeders who weren't certified only because they were selling rare stock. I do understand the importance in avoiding the spread of disease . Whether or not certified people should take the responsibility in owning a flock and not just introduce a potentially diseased bird.

One should also consider, by becoming certified and these people run their "tests" on your flock and if they come back positive, are they going to mandate a call of all your birds that you have taken years to find\develop.

My point is, you take risks whenever you involve the government.

For the most part I try to buy from people I know . You Just can't trust people like they use to. I have my fair share of times I've been ripped off with sick stock . Thank goodness I quarantined.

@EggSighted4Life have you processed any of your cemanis? Do they taste different from normal chickens? I don't understand why they are so "hot" when there are so many other black chickens from other breeds.
They're one of the breeds sold by Green Fire farms..

https://greenfirefarms.com/all_breeds.html

PLEASE do NOT buy from ANY eBay seller who isn't local to you or NPIP certified to ship.. otherwise they are doing so illegally.

What's the hottest breed for 2021.. is a fun question.. :p

I'm working on lavender Wyandotte and an Isabella laced Wyandotte project. So that's what's hot for ME! :wee

I WISH I could get some Dong Tao in the US!! I don't have the resources to import them myself and don't appear to be on GFF agenda.

I'm also working on expanding my Cemani gene pool, though it was acquired more for a friend and I think the Svart Hona would be a FAR better choice for ME. I did consider the Ketawa but have processed my share of bantam sized carcasses already and it too much work for RIGHT now. The word Ayam translates as chicken. :D

Alas.. It's hard to say what the public will think is a hot breed.. as many of them will take what they can get instead of what they want.. for me, I only look at things I'm interested in breeding to the betterment of the breed, variety, species.. etc.. what I would keep in a pet/laying flock MIGHT be SO different! Is it too late for you to consider changing this into a poll with certain options including other, please note?? :pop

@EggSighted4Life have you processed any of your cemanis? Do they taste different from normal chickens? I don't understand why they are so "hot" when there are so many other black chickens from other breeds.
Because they're REALLY REALLY black.. everything. Even the comb and wattles.. and that is important to me because red isn't a favorite color of mine. One day I will have a Cemani.. maybe an Ayam Ketawa rooster, too.. because that laughing crow cracks me up.

Because they're REALLY REALLY black.. everything. Even the comb and wattles.. and that is important to me because red isn't a favorite color of mine. One day I will have a Cemani.. maybe an Ayam Ketawa rooster, too.. because that laughing crow cracks me up.
So is a black silkie....lol everything is black

Great question actually!

I have not YET harvested any Cemani. I have harvested dozens of Silkies that were melanistic.. there is NO difference in flavor or texture caused by the color. In fact the meat may be darker but it isn't black like the skin seen in most photos.. pic from google agrees with my experience..
1613331267262.png

Any richness that's different from "market" chicken (IMO) is purely due to Silkies (or Cemani) being grown out and harvested in the same manner and age as other heritage breeds (20 ish+ weeks). Silkies also hold a fair amount of meat compared to other bantam breeds.. making them similar to a dual purpose bantam, especially the "larger" ones.. despite only having 1 standard in the US they SHOULD separate the two standards, SERIOUSLY. I expect the carcass to be smaller than my white faced black Spanish, taller than Silkie. Some might consider them to pricey to put on the table.. but there isn't a home for them all and neither are they all suitable for breeding. Cooking method suggested (fry, roast, etc) varies according to age at harvest..

Cooking Heritage Poultry

Part of the reason folks are crazy about the melanistic breeds is that in the East they believe the meat, organs, etc.. to have a multitude of healing properties. I'm not aware of any studies that confirm YET. Americans tend to have preferred yellow skinned birds in the past according to the research I've seen so far.. I was shocked when I saw a yellow looking chicken at El Pollo Loco, that is likely exaggerated by their rub/marinade. I was glad though when I discovered that some chickens have different colored skin. I don't eat skin very often but I do enjoy seeing a well dressed home grown bird on the table. :)

I am getting Swedish Flower hens this spring and I can't wait! I am also diversifying my true BBS Ameraucana stock and gray silkie stock. Otherwise I'm good this year. I may add a couple BCM hens for a little deeper color, but I'm not sure. I have toyed with the idea of adding a deathlayer as well.

Back
Top Bottom