Houdan Rooster temperament?

CHICKEN BUFF

Songster
5 Years
Jan 16, 2015
I'm a big fan of Polish, but decided to try another crested breed this year so added four Houdans to my order of twelve Polish. They're 8 weeks old now, and one of the Houdans MUST be a rooster. He's very BOLD, and unafraid of me from Day One (though everyone else initially runs for their lives at my approach). He bounces right up to me, and yesterday he flew up to sit beside me. He's not looking for affection (at least I don't think so), though he's first to eat out of my hand.

My question is, what kind of temperament do Houdan roosters generally have? I know they're all individuals, but I've never had any roo of any breed be THIS extroverted!

That may or may not indicate male. I always thought it did, but I had two chicks (different breed - old english game bantam) that were that way with me. Both turned out female. They still are keen on approaching me and chatting to me. Then again, I've also had a male like that as well. He especially liked to fly up on me and snuggle when it was cold or windy out. So, I don't know much about Houdans as I don't like heavily crested birds, but the bold behavior may or may not mean male. I hope someone chimes in just in case; I am trying to find out the same about my suspected male Spitzhauben :)

Back
Top Bottom