Houdan Xs, what do you all think?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RachelFromTheBlackLagoon, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Here are my two 9-10 week old Houdan x Polish. It may be tough to tell in these pictures but their crests are definitely different. The one with the gold lacing, Simone, started turning red in the comb/wattle areas a week or so ago. Now today I noticed Dottie's comb area is darker pink than it was last week. These are my first chickens, so I'm not sure exactly how they develop! These pictures were taken a few days ago. What do you think?

Simone:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dottie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can really see how red Simone is getting in this one:
    [​IMG]

Is it normal for those areas to turn red before a comb and wattle actually develop?

2. They are very cute! Sorry i don't know much about Polish or Houdans.

Is that a real tattoo on your chest?

3. k2chickens

k2chickens Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    nice tat's....sry tho...no help here

4. Aw man! I thought I had some answers waiting here for me! [​IMG]

Yes, it's a real tattoo! Thank you! [​IMG]

5. I really can't help you...crests look similar so start watching out for flowy tails. The combs are even confusing me! [​IMG] But I really love that mix. That is just an awesome mesh of color!

As far as guessing goes, I'd start preparing for the worst with both of them. My Polish chicks, sexed as pullets, are nearly 9 weeks old and have no redness in their faces so far...

6. Ugh that would SUCK! I'm so attached to these birds already! If one is a roo, that's fine. I don't think I can do 2 roos, though. It's tough to tell in the pics, but in person their crests are very different. I guess I'll just have to wait this one out!

7. Oh crap. Any chance a 9-10 week old pullet would have little spur buds or are these both definitely cockerels?

8. HenPen

HenPen Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Pullets and cockerels have spur buds....my laying hen has them.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    All chickens have spur buds. On boys the spurs willl start growing sometime before their first birthday, on girls they remain small. (Think of them as being the equivalent of breasts in humans.)

I'm undecided on Simone, but start thinking of Dottie as Duke.

10. Quote:Really?!?! But but but WHY?! Simone has the red wattles and comb, though! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: