Houdan Xs, what do you all think?

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Wallingford, CT
Here are my two 9-10 week old Houdan x Polish. It may be tough to tell in these pictures but their crests are definitely different. The one with the gold lacing, Simone, started turning red in the comb/wattle areas a week or so ago. Now today I noticed Dottie's comb area is darker pink than it was last week. These are my first chickens, so I'm not sure exactly how they develop! These pictures were taken a few days ago. What do you think?

Simone:
002.jpg

005.jpg

001.jpg

Dottie:
004.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

You can really see how red Simone is getting in this one:
007.jpg

Is it normal for those areas to turn red before a comb and wattle actually develop?

I really can't help you...crests look similar so start watching out for flowy tails. The combs are even confusing me!
hmm.png
But I really love that mix. That is just an awesome mesh of color!

As far as guessing goes, I'd start preparing for the worst with both of them. My Polish chicks, sexed as pullets, are nearly 9 weeks old and have no redness in their faces so far...

Ugh that would SUCK! I'm so attached to these birds already! If one is a roo, that's fine. I don't think I can do 2 roos, though. It's tough to tell in the pics, but in person their crests are very different. I guess I'll just have to wait this one out!

All chickens have spur buds. On boys the spurs willl start growing sometime before their first birthday, on girls they remain small. (Think of them as being the equivalent of breasts in humans.)

I'm undecided on Simone, but start thinking of Dottie as Duke.

Back
Top Bottom