Houdans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HaikuHeritageFarm, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Maybe he's right, that turkey is acting aweful psochiopathish! lol

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

:yuckyuck

:lol:

3. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    Well I talked more to the breeder a couple weeks ago but was busy and havent posted in a long time.
    New school year really takes up your time. I'm a teacher by day, well at least my paychecks say I am.

They are Houdans, as best as I can see and understand. They are just the older style breed as I was told in a much earlier post, grandpa and grandma got them from their mom and dad, who probably got the originals somewhere in Hong Kong.

That old English book about them was right on the money. My cock (still fun saying that) is so very similar to the cover picture in the link that Ashandvine gave me. SO sorry about your bad luck!
    I'd love to send you a few from here, but the costs and import barriers are a little... crappy.

The link: http://archive.org/stream/cu31924003117870#page/n9/mode/2up
    and my most recent picture:
    [​IMG]
    His tail feathers have yet to curve and the crown is still pretty unimpressive, but hes still kind of young.

We have an update on our other parts of the flock too, up to 25 birds (wow). Here are a couple of the leaders in the crown contest:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally some who lost the crown contest but are the most friendly of the flock, thus getting special indoor treatment today. One more rooster, but again a mighty unimpressive comb.
    The breeder also said that usually the larger combs are better layers and if they get a little red on the wattle with a small comb they're taken out and put in the the "dinner" pen. Meaning they are boys and will be sold off. That practice could explain the large variance in comb size.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to be studying up on import procedures, because these birds are just amazing as pets and as chickens so far. I'm quite happy I found them and they're worth all the trouble they might get into.

Our oldest, and the one with the smallest crown has started laying practice. Very exciting!

EDIT:Spelling etc.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  4. Natural Eye

Natural Eye Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2012
    QLD, Australia
    I just read your story and it's so cool! Amazing how different Houdan look in different parts of the world!

5. aoxa

It seems all of the houdans above don't have beards. I thought they are supposed to have beards? I ended up with two that don't. Not sure how that happened. The boy looks like the ones above - but has a bigger crest and a different comb. The comb is that devil looking one. The other beardless one is a girl. Easy to spot the difference when they don't have beards!

6. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hi well I thought I would share some photos of my new Houdan girl that I got yesterday. She is called Queenie and I got her with a splash polish (Tina) who is also in these photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They are both gorgeous birds!

7. aoxa

She's pretty, but her legs look abnormal for a Houdan. Mine are very pink and speckled. All of my 10 have speckled pink legs. [​IMG] Here you can see what I mean. She looks more polish than Houdan to me. However, her mottling is VERY nice.

8. Tricoglossus

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hi Aoxa, I am in Western Australia and I believe they are very rare throughout Australia let alone WA. I am assuming the gene pool is pretty limited in Australia, or perhaps our Houdans are slightly different to yours?

9. Tricoglossus

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
  10. aoxa

How many toes does she have? They are slightly different in different countries, yes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by