House Chicken?

SO if they are vaccinated they automatically give it to my girls.?”?!!?!!,..!?
Google it... its medication. You need to figure out if it works for your flock.
From what I’ve read, that’s not the case, but I’m far from an expert. I got some of my information from this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/.
There are lots of scientific studies and journals on the subject.. quick google search will get you it... but why is the house chicken thread being turned into a mareks debate? This is why threads get sidelined and die.

The Marek’s vaccine doesn’t give them the virus. However, a vaccinated bird can still get it and not show symptoms, then pass it on to unvaccinated birds.
I’ll just have to hope they don’t have it....but really I can’t ever add birds to my flock without that risk...so I think I will have to take a chance. I know it’s bad that they can carry it without symptoms, but I think I’d rather that they do that, and don’t get it as bad or die from it. I have 4 chickens....I’m adding 8 or so...8 lives is bigger than possibly 4 at risk...

Having had chicks and hens live in the house for short periods of time I know that they seem to create a massive amount of dust. Don't know if this is from the feathers or from the shavings I put in their crate.

I do know that your can buy or make little diapers for chickens so perhaps if you don't mind changing and washing diapers you could take care of that problem.

It will be fun following your adventure. Best of luck. :fl

Having had chicks and hens live in the house for short periods of time I know that they seem to create a massive amount of dust. Don't know if this is from the feathers or from the shavings I put in their crate.

I do know that your can buy or make little diapers for chickens so perhaps if you don't mind changing and washing diapers you could take care of that problem.

It will be fun following your adventure. Best of luck. :fl
I am getting some chicks today!! A few silkies and some other bantams!

You'll make a wonderful hen!
20200730_222508.jpg

I am getting some chicks today!! A few silkies and some other bantams!

Having had chicks and hens live in the house for short periods of time I know that they seem to create a massive amount of dust.

Chicks create a massive amount of dust when their feathers come in. Each pin feather is covered in a membrane/skin and that skin flakes off in tiny pieces creating tons of dust.

I don't think the adults create much dust unless they are molting.

Can you share what flocks management changes you made? I would like to make sure it is eliminated from my coop. And, what is the anti-herpes med?

I didn't eliminate the virus, in fact the State AG vet in this area says virtually all the flocks around here have Mareks. While the virus is still likely dormant in my flock my birds are healthy and live normal lives without ever getting sick from it.

Like many humans with a herpes virus, birds can carry it their whole lives yet never get sick or show symptoms. Stress is the big Mareks trigger so I take steps to prevent birds from getting too stressed out. Biggest change was using broody hens when adding chicks (so chicks don't go through a rough integration phase that causes a lot of anxiety, adolescents being picked on are the most likely to get sick and die from it).

I also keep the anti-herpes med Valtrex on hand and if a bird gets injured or sick I give them some for a couple of days as a preventative. I asked my vet for a script and got 10 pills at a local oharmacy for about $10 (a bird only gets a tiny amount of one tablet). The medication generally won't reverse paralysis or other damage done by the virus so it needs to be started before symptoms appear, or used early to arrest symptoms before they progress. It is a preventative.

I have bought birds from show breeders and always pump them for info when I get the chance. Their birds are typically much healthier and less susceptible to disease compared to layer flocks because they don't cull sick birds and instead focus on breeding strong resistant lines. Healthy birds with good genetics should be basically immune to Mareks like many of their wild brethren.

I didn't eliminate the virus, in fact the State AG vet in this area says virtually all the flocks around here have Mareks. While the virus is still likely dormant in my flock my birds are healthy and live normal lives without ever getting sick from it.

Like many humans with a herpes virus, birds can carry it their whole lives yet never get sick or show symptoms. Stress is the big Mareks trigger so I take steps to prevent birds from getting too stressed out. Biggest change was using broody hens when adding chicks (so chicks don't go through a rough integration phase that causes a lot of anxiety, adolescents being picked on are the most likely to get sick and die from it).

I also keep the anti-herpes med Valtrex on hand and if a bird gets injured or sick I give them some for a couple of days as a preventative. I asked my vet for a script and got 10 pills at a local oharmacy for about $10 (a bird only gets a tiny amount of one tablet). The medication generally won't reverse paralysis or other damage done by the virus so it needs to be started before symptoms appear, or used early to arrest symptoms before they progress. It is a preventative.

I have bought birds from show breeders and always pump them for info when I get the chance. Their birds are typically much healthier and less susceptible to disease compared to layer flocks because they don't cull sick birds and instead focus on breeding strong resistant lines. Healthy birds with good genetics should be basically immune to Mareks like many of their wild brethren.
Thanks so much for that information. I will check to see if my vet can give me Valtrex. I am learning to be more aware of how stress effects my flock.

Thanks so much for that information. I will check to see if my vet can give me Valtrex. I am learning to be more aware of how stress effects my flock.
Ask for a script. Your vet won't have it in stock as it isn't approved or used for chickens (but it seems to work here with no side effects). All pharmacies will carry it. The generic drug name is valacyclovir. Preventing stress is the main thing.

The vaccine is not considered stable, and can "leak" the virus.

From what I read the vaccine does not cause the virus but it also doesn't create 100% immunity which is a big problem and spreads highly lethal forms of Mareks if the bird gets exposed.

Normally highly lethal viruses kill their hosts before they get the chance to spread (and the virus goes extinct as a result) however birds vaccinated with the Mareks vaccine can STILL GET INFECTED, become contagious and LIVE LONGER with strains of Mareks that normally would not have a chance to spread much at all. So vaccine does not cause the illness, but it will help extremely dangerous strains of the illness spread far and wide if the birds get infected from another source.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/tthis-chicken-vaccine-makes-virus-dangerous

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom