House duck constantly quacking

AmandaVirus

Songster
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
Humboldt County, CA
I have a three year old female mallard who recently (about a month ago) started quacking all the time throughout the day starting at 6 am. She was raised by me with no other ducks. She seems to have started liking my mother most and doesn't particularly want much attention from me, and quacks the most when she is at work or otherwise isn't around. Sometimes she will quack in the front yard when we are in the house and it seems like she wants us/my mom to go outside with her because she stops once we do. She used to be fine outside by herself for most of the day and then would come inside and hang out with us when she wanted. She can come and go as she pleases. I am almost always home so she is hardly ever alone.

I've been thinking maybe it's because she never got a chance to go broody last spring like she normally does or maybe she wants the companionship of another duck, but I wouldn't even know how to go about introducing her to one. The only other ducks she's seen are my backyard ducks and she's afraid of them because my drake is aggressive towards her.

I've been going through a lot of stress lately, and the last thing I need is to be woken up early as I'm not used to waking up at 6 am, especially to a loud sudden noise like quacking. I wake up instantly aggravated and mad at her which is just going to make her like me even less. Any suggestions/advise is very much appreciated!

Could you make her a house and yard outside, than I might look for a companion who you could house next to her for a while until she gets used to it. Ducks need a flock, she's probably calling your mom when she's quacking.

Back
Top Bottom