House Ducks? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿฆ†

raccoonroom

Chirping
Aug 1, 2020
Hello fellow duck lovers!

I've read a lot of threads about raising ducks outside, but I haven't seen much on keeping ducks in the house. I realize this isn't a super common occurrence and I may be a tad weird, but I can't be the only one keeping ducks as pets, right?

I'm planning to have my trio of Welsh Harlequin ducks outside and inside whenever my husband will allow it ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ The ducks are only four weeks old right now so they're not quite ready to be outside full time anyway, but the more time I spend with them, the more I want them to stay with me! ๐Ÿ˜โค

Duck diapers aren't an option until they're bigger and I'm having no luck with DIY sock diapers for the ducklings (I'm not much of a craft type) ๐Ÿ˜‚ so they hang out on puppy pads inside. They sleep in a clear tote at night... in my room. And also come with us whenever we go on a family adventure...it's not weird, you're weird!! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Can I see your house ducks please? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Do you have any tips for raising indoor/outdoor ducks? What works for you?

Of course I've added some gratuitous duckling photos and their beach video ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

20200805_152805.jpg 20200809_125552.jpg 20200809_125710.jpg 20200809_125747.jpg 20200809_125819.jpg

Hello fellow duck lovers!

I've read a lot of threads about raising ducks outside, but I haven't seen much on keeping ducks in the house. I realize this isn't a super common occurrence and I may be a tad weird, but I can't be the only one keeping ducks as pets, right?

I'm planning to have my trio of Welsh Harlequin ducks outside and inside whenever my husband will allow it ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ The ducks are only four weeks old right now so they're not quite ready to be outside full time anyway, but the more time I spend with them, the more I want them to stay with me! ๐Ÿ˜โค

Duck diapers aren't an option until they're bigger and I'm having no luck with DIY sock diapers for the ducklings (I'm not much of a craft type) ๐Ÿ˜‚ so they hang out on puppy pads inside. They sleep in a clear tote at night... in my room. And also come with us whenever we go on a family adventure...it's not weird, you're weird!! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Can I see your house ducks please? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Do you have any tips for raising indoor/outdoor ducks? What works for you?

Of course I've added some gratuitous duckling photos and their beach video ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

View attachment 2283705View attachment 2283733View attachment 2283734View attachment 2283735View attachment 2283737

Awe they are so cute!

I'm starting a business making and selling pet clothes and accessories for all sorts of pets (dogs, cats, rabbits, small animals, poultry, and reptiles). I'm going to make duck diapers with cute accessories too. I'll make some that look like overalls, some with tutus and bows, some tuxedos with bow ties, and ones separate to the diapers (ties, tutus and bows).

If you want to get them some diapers Etsy has lots of cute ones. I would customize them with tutus, bows, and bow ties since they're pretty easy to make. I'll attach a video on a super easy way to make those if you want. I just made some bows myself.

I'm starting a business making and selling pet clothes and accessories for all sorts of pets (dogs, cats, rabbits, small animals, poultry, and reptiles). I'm going to make duck diapers with cute accessories too. I'll make some that look like overalls, some with tutus and bows, some tuxedos with bow ties, and ones separate to the diapers (ties, tutus and bows).

If you want to get them some diapers Etsy has lots of cute ones. I would customize them with tutus, bows, and bow ties since they're pretty easy to make. I'll attach a video on a super easy way to make those if you want. I just made some bows myself.

Oh that would be wonderful! The bigger these ducks get, the harder it's been to convince my husband to let them stay inside. He loves them, but you know, not enough to forgive their lack of poop control. I'm kind of duck obsessed so I can handle a little mess... or a lot of mess I guess ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Here's an easy tutu
โ€ขhttps://www.mimiandtara.com/dog-dress-patterns/
1597015013368.png

If you want to make, say, a 5 inch long tutu, cut out a square piece of fabric. Since you'll need room to thread elastic through add another inch. You'll be folding it in half so it would be 12 inches. This way you have enough room for the elastic and you can trim up the ends if needed.
Fold it in half and sew it leaving an inch for elastic. Once you've made enough thread the elastic through then you can attach it to the diaper, or you could sew it on a strip of fabric and attach some velcro for a separate tutu. You could add more velcro on the tutu and diaper to make it detachable.

Here's the bow. Super simple.
All you need is ribbon or a strip of fabric and a needle and thread

Here's an easy tutu
โ€ขhttps://www.mimiandtara.com/dog-dress-patterns/
View attachment 2283977
If you want to make, say, a 5 inch long tutu, cut out a square piece of fabric. Since you'll need room to thread elastic through add another inch. You'll be folding it in half so it would be 12 inches. This way you have enough room for the elastic and you can trim up the ends if needed.
Fold it in half and sew it leaving an inch for elastic. Once you've made enough thread the elastic through then you can attach it to the diaper, or you could sew it on a strip of fabric and attach some velcro for a separate tutu. You could add more velcro on the tutu and diaper to make it detachable.

Here's the bow. Super simple.
All you need is ribbon or a strip of fabric and a needle and thread

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your advice!

hi, i have indoor/outdoor ducks. they sleep inside at night and come inside for cuddles. but definitely let yours outside as much as possible, mine love to forage and swim all day. duck diapers are great for managing the poop, and the ducks donโ€™t seem to mind them. they also love to go on adventures, like car rides to the park!

How often do you need to change their diapers? Do you buy them or make your own? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom