House Ducks? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿฆ†

raccoonroom

Chirping
Aug 1, 2020
Hello fellow duck lovers!

I've read a lot of threads about raising ducks outside, but I haven't seen much on keeping ducks in the house. I realize this isn't a super common occurrence and I may be a tad weird, but I can't be the only one keeping ducks as pets, right?

I'm planning to have my trio of Welsh Harlequin ducks outside and inside whenever my husband will allow it ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ The ducks are only four weeks old right now so they're not quite ready to be outside full time anyway, but the more time I spend with them, the more I want them to stay with me! ๐Ÿ˜โค

Duck diapers aren't an option until they're bigger and I'm having no luck with DIY sock diapers for the ducklings (I'm not much of a craft type) ๐Ÿ˜‚ so they hang out on puppy pads inside. They sleep in a clear tote at night... in my room. And also come with us whenever we go on a family adventure...it's not weird, you're weird!! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Can I see your house ducks please? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Do you have any tips for raising indoor/outdoor ducks? What works for you?

Of course I've added some gratuitous duckling photos and their beach video ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

20200805_152805.jpg 20200809_125552.jpg 20200809_125710.jpg 20200809_125747.jpg 20200809_125819.jpg

Hello fellow duck lovers!

I've read a lot of threads about raising ducks outside, but I haven't seen much on keeping ducks in the house. I realize this isn't a super common occurrence and I may be a tad weird, but I can't be the only one keeping ducks as pets, right?

I'm planning to have my trio of Welsh Harlequin ducks outside and inside whenever my husband will allow it ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ The ducks are only four weeks old right now so they're not quite ready to be outside full time anyway, but the more time I spend with them, the more I want them to stay with me! ๐Ÿ˜โค

Duck diapers aren't an option until they're bigger and I'm having no luck with DIY sock diapers for the ducklings (I'm not much of a craft type) ๐Ÿ˜‚ so they hang out on puppy pads inside. They sleep in a clear tote at night... in my room. And also come with us whenever we go on a family adventure...it's not weird, you're weird!! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Can I see your house ducks please? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Do you have any tips for raising indoor/outdoor ducks? What works for you?

Of course I've added some gratuitous duckling photos and their beach video ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

View attachment 2283705View attachment 2283733View attachment 2283734View attachment 2283735View attachment 2283737

Awe they are so cute!

I'm starting a business making and selling pet clothes and accessories for all sorts of pets (dogs, cats, rabbits, small animals, poultry, and reptiles). I'm going to make duck diapers with cute accessories too. I'll make some that look like overalls, some with tutus and bows, some tuxedos with bow ties, and ones separate to the diapers (ties, tutus and bows).

If you want to get them some diapers Etsy has lots of cute ones. I would customize them with tutus, bows, and bow ties since they're pretty easy to make. I'll attach a video on a super easy way to make those if you want. I just made some bows myself.

I waited until my two were big enough for the adult diapers and by that point they did NOT want to wear them. I managed to find someone who was selling 4 packs of progressive sizes but by the time they got to me, they'd grown out of all but the biggest size and I figured I'd just wait for their adult ones at that point. That was a mistake, they should have been handled and at least tried diapering a lot more as babies because if I put the diapers on them now (8 weeks) they practically hang themselves trying to pry them off. I imagine they'd EVENTUALLY get used to it....if all three of us didnt suffer heart attacks first ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

I forwent the diapers and bought a big king sized fluidproof sheet for the carpet and one for the couch. We have concrete floors in the kitchen/dining/bedroom/bathroom so they can just run around all they want and I follow with some paper towels, upstairs in the living room they have to be on the sheets. They were pricey but my god do they work, and they just go in the wash. If i had a clothesline a plastic tarp would have worked too for a fraction of the price.

I'd caution that duck poop/urine can be quite caustic, so if you do have any accidents on your wood floors, clean it up fast, otherwise it might eat the finish right off.

Thanks so much for that advice. My ducklings are growing crazy fast so hopefully I can make something that is adjustable, but like I said I'm very craft challenged haha So far they spend time on puppy pads or I take them outside for a while.

I feel like my life would get real difficult chasing around my toddler and the three feathered toddlers all day with paper towels ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

20200811_102526.jpg
This is how they watch TV with me ๐Ÿฅฐ

20200811_101944.jpg

I'm starting a business making and selling pet clothes and accessories for all sorts of pets (dogs, cats, rabbits, small animals, poultry, and reptiles). I'm going to make duck diapers with cute accessories too. I'll make some that look like overalls, some with tutus and bows, some tuxedos with bow ties, and ones separate to the diapers (ties, tutus and bows).

If you want to get them some diapers Etsy has lots of cute ones. I would customize them with tutus, bows, and bow ties since they're pretty easy to make. I'll attach a video on a super easy way to make those if you want. I just made some bows myself.

Oh that would be wonderful! The bigger these ducks get, the harder it's been to convince my husband to let them stay inside. He loves them, but you know, not enough to forgive their lack of poop control. I'm kind of duck obsessed so I can handle a little mess... or a lot of mess I guess ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Oh my goodness! I LOVE your video of the ducks going to the beach! That is so cool that they follow you everywhere. What are their names?

Awe thanks! I'm definitely a little obsessed with them and I guess the feeling is mutual haha ๐Ÿ˜„ They think our family is their flock so wherever we go, they go!

And because of the pandemic we're either home with them all day or they're coming with us to an outdoor activity. My niece and nephews love when the ducks come out with us ๐Ÿ˜ Some people get to swim with dolphins, we prefer to swim with ducks! ๐Ÿคฃ

Their "official" names are Professor Chaos, General Disarray and Princess Kenny, but we call them Chaos, Dizzy and Kenny as we like to keep it informal haha ๐Ÿ˜‰

Haha โ€œButters, youโ€™re grounded mister!โ€
your little guys look more happy to be handled than mine so maybe diapers will go easier when its time for them. I was afraid of overhandling/stressing them when they were really little but I should have gotten them more used to it.

They've only just in the last two weeks taken to napping on the couch with me and its the only time I'm allowed to hold and pet them. Even if I get all the way on the floor with them when I have them downstairs, they dont want me getting too close/touching them. On the couch though? Somehow we become equals and can snuggle ๐Ÿ™ƒ little monsters.

I struggled with the sock designs, but I was also using some older more worn out socks I was willing to part with because with the pandemic going on I didnt feel like going to walmart or anything to grab some cheap new socks in the right sizes.

Oh man, they are quickly becoming "not so little" guys. Having the three of them on the chair with me has become more and more difficult as they bigger they get, well the bigger their poops!

I've handled the ducklings regularly since day one and they still don't appreciate being picked up. If I get down on the floor they will sit next to me or crawl into my lap, but if I try to pick one up, oh Lord the dramatics! ๐Ÿคฃ they sound like I'm trying to kill them. Then when I put them down, they're right back to following me everywhere.

You're right though, when they're on the couch with me they are almost demanding that I cuddle and will snuggle into whatever crevice they can find!

I am in the same boat. We lost our one girl a few weeks ago and now Iโ€™m overprotective of my other two. I live in Alberta Canada and our weather can get very cold. In the summer and warm spring and fall days they spend the days outside with the pond and yard. At night in a duck house I built that sits under the covered deck for extra protection from weather. But now that itโ€™s cold I have set up a room in our basement. We had taken the carpet out a year ago so itโ€™s just cement. I laid down tarps and taped them up the wall a bit and to the floor I have a smaller house I put in that area and I used a pet pen to block off the area. The tarp makes cleaning it very easy. I do. This several times a day if they are in all day and night my laundry room is next to it and has a floor drain so I set up the kiddy pool in there so they can still have pond play time and and water they spill goes into the drain. I have a heater in the outside pond so it doesnโ€™t freeze over so if itโ€™s nice enough out in the day time they can still go in it stays about 65 degrees
My girl has decided the little duck house inside is her nesting box and only lays eggs in it so I added a bit of hay in a corner for them to sleep on in the indoor pen.
Here is some pictures of my set up.
yes my boy has angel wing. We tried so hard with the help of a vet to keep his wing in a bandage long enough to correct it but he kept getting them off no matter what we did. It doesnโ€™t seem to affect his daily life and they are well protected in a fenced in yard with our dogs and cats to protect them
When I got close to taking pictures of her eggs in the duck house my drake ran in to get between me and the eggs while my girl sat back lol only time I have ever seen them in that house.
we used it for my drake when he was a baby before he could be with the other ducks
I always say nobody truly understands the love for ducks until you own one. They are truly the best pet ( minus the poo) I have ever owned :)

Attachments

• 8B68D24C-DAE6-4D53-B6DE-1D4CDEAAA17E.jpeg
    8B68D24C-DAE6-4D53-B6DE-1D4CDEAAA17E.jpeg
    544.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 7D1D5BA0-529B-4440-ACB8-D18A0AFC96E4.jpeg
    7D1D5BA0-529B-4440-ACB8-D18A0AFC96E4.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 95E3C7D4-A63D-4B16-BE47-B13CA5A96E11.jpeg
    95E3C7D4-A63D-4B16-BE47-B13CA5A96E11.jpeg
    461.9 KB · Views: 4
  • D92F0D84-8ECC-43D1-9E15-55CD9472C1B5.jpeg
    D92F0D84-8ECC-43D1-9E15-55CD9472C1B5.jpeg