House goose?

BrandySC

Songster
May 22, 2020
Does anyone have a house goose?

We got one gosling (intended to be a chicken guard when he's grown), and put him in a crate indoors. He's about 6 weeks now and I worry he's become a full-on house goose! He loves his outside time, but only if a human is with him. Otherwise it's all shrieking. He gets uneasy when it starts getting dark and he's eager to come in the front door and go to his room.

We started him in a 35-gallon tote without the lid. He's really too big for it now but he hates change and when I tried to move him to a larger, different crate he flipped out. Now I've reached the point that I've ordered a large pop-up playpen and hope he will be happy in it. I'm also trying to get him adjusted to wearing diapers so he can be out and about in the house with us all the time, as he wants.

I'm starting to think he's going to be that 30-year-old kid who never moves out of my basement. Just wondered if anyone had similar experience.

I have two house geese...well, mostly house geese, they are of course allowed outside time; They're very poopy.

Mine wore nappies as little goslings but to be honest, they've never gotten "used" to them and don't particularly like them and i feel it would be unfair to keep them nappied up for most of the time, so regular...I mean very regular cleaning is a must.

The shrieking will stop as he gets older but hopefully you can get him a friend because geese being flock animals feel unsafe if left alone.

We go for walks in the park together pretty regularly and like to travel in the back of the car, they'll just follow me around when we arrive there.

Does anyone have a house goose?

We got one gosling (intended to be a chicken guard when he's grown), and put him in a crate indoors. He's about 6 weeks now and I worry he's become a full-on house goose! He loves his outside time, but only if a human is with him. Otherwise it's all shrieking. He gets uneasy when it starts getting dark and he's eager to come in the front door and go to his room.

We started him in a 35-gallon tote without the lid. He's really too big for it now but he hates change and when I tried to move him to a larger, different crate he flipped out. Now I've reached the point that I've ordered a large pop-up playpen and hope he will be happy in it. I'm also trying to get him adjusted to wearing diapers so he can be out and about in the house with us all the time, as he wants.

I'm starting to think he's going to be that 30-year-old kid who never moves out of my basement. Just wondered if anyone had similar experience.
The main part of the problem is that he is alone. Geese are social and rely on numbers to spot danger, find food, and socialize. Geese while they’re alone are in a state of fear, stress, and heightened anxiety because they instinctively know there’s no one to help them if there’s trouble, their chances of survival in the wild plummet to nothing if they’re alone, and this instinct is hardwired into them from millions of years of evolution.
Geese bond well with humans but unless the human is going to be around them 24/7 and take them everywhere they go it’s not a good fit.

Geese are small and much more fragile than they let on,hence their fear and suspicion of anything new, it’s normal for him to fear any new playpen or anything else.
His shrieking may subside as he ages but his fear and anxiety of being alone never will, the only thing that will remedy this is another goose.

I leave my geese alone at home when I am at work, there are only two but I have a webcam that I can watch them anytime on through my phone - They've never seemed agitated or stressed whenever I have checked on them unless the postman has just been.

Back
Top Bottom