Houseplant and succulent enthusiasts

Unfortunately low light succulent species are rare to find. But, here are my suggestions. Now, no plant will survive in total darkness. If your teen does decide to open the blinds, or put the plant in front of them, I think two species might work great. I overwinter my haworthia in the house, and I place her in a windowsill with a big bush in the front that takes up most indirect light, so the plant only gets about 5 hours of indirect sun. First year I tried it she flowered. Many people suggest the moonstone succulent, (don't remember the scientific name sorry) and in my experience it survived fine as well, didn't elongate much. With succulents, the key is their color. A green succulent requires less sun, usually (exceptions include some species of kalanchoe) than their brightly colored counterparts. Some other species you might want to take a look at include certain types of green echeveria and kalanchoe blossfeldiana and similar species ( they would like it a little more sunny ideally). Another "family" you could try are the jungle cacti, which are usually epiphytic and thus like it more shaded. They produce really nice flowers as well, not my cup of tea though, so I don't have any personal experience with them. Hope this helps, and good luck! First photo is of my haworthia, and the second is of the moonstone succulent, to help give you a better visual
20230602_193119.jpg
Screenshot_20230602_195251_Gallery.jpg

I'm actually dealing with these (I'm not allowed to use the other word so) annoying things on all of my mature von nurnbergs. I don't know why, but they seem to favor succulents and orchids. Just today I used the method mentioned above, worked very well. One has a HUGE amount of them, so I'm thinking of squirting the rubbing alcohol right on them
I once had a wicked outbreak. I was so frustrated - i filled a spray bottle w isopropyl - 70 percent and sprayed - weeks. None of the plants died. Those fuzzy monsters turned brown and died, one by one! Lol (this works on scale too)

That's what I'm planning on doing. I've already treated two with the cotton swab method (they turned orangy brown immediately) but the other one is sort of wonky, so it won't work. Good to know it works on scale, I didn't know that, and scale scared me

Love the houseplants! In process of hauling most outside for summer. I have a few split leaf philodendron (i know that's not their real name, but can't get used to monstera-!)
I have a pair of tortoises too- so I grow a lot of food plants- hibiscus (tropical), shamrocks, Malabar spinach... I have a mess of prickly pear, a night blooming cactus (that's never bloomed- no surprise in the north) and this one random succulent - don't know her name. She looks like a little tree w chubby succulent leaves - terrible description, will photograph later. You guys can help me ID her!
I like Shefflera - grown a few from seed, I just split my giant Philodendron selloum- hardiest, biggest houseplant I've ever had!
Love plants!

That's what I'm planning on doing. I've already treated two with the cotton swab method (they turned orangy brown immediately) but the other one is sort of wonky, so it won't work. Good to know it works on scale, I didn't know that, and scale scared me
I had this wretched year of the pest - maybe 2 years ago? I had the mealybugs, spider mites (washed them off)- fungus gnats (i rock the top of all my plants now- seems to work)
And aphids and thrips. I got a couple mantis egg cases- they hatched, the bugs were gone. It was a weird thing - I don't usually have much trouble. Oh- my plants were all in a big room. Mantis stuck to that room and went outside w the plants in spring. I'd do it again. Lol

Love the houseplants! In process of hauling most outside for summer. I have a few split leaf philodendron (i know that's not their real name, but can't get used to monstera-!)
I have a pair of tortoises too- so I grow a lot of food plants- hibiscus (tropical), shamrocks, Malabar spinach... I have a mess of prickly pear, a night blooming cactus (that's never bloomed- no surprise in the north) and this one random succulent - don't know her name. She looks like a little tree w chubby succulent leaves - terrible description, will photograph later. You guys can help me ID her!
I like Shefflera - grown a few from seed, I just split my giant Philodendron selloum- hardiest, biggest houseplant I've ever had!
Love plants!

Ugh you have some really nice ones! If I kept true houseplants, I'd definitely keep the selloum, it's such an eye catcher!

I had this wretched year of the pest - maybe 2 years ago? I had the mealybugs, spider mites (washed them off)- fungus gnats (i rock the top of all my plants now- seems to work)
And aphids and thrips. I got a couple mantis egg cases- they hatched, the bugs were gone. It was a weird thing - I don't usually have much trouble. Oh- my plants were all in a big room. Mantis stuck to that room and went outside w the plants in spring. I'd do it again. Lol

Sounds like a true ecosystem you had in your house! Thankfully I've only encountered mealybugs, hope it stays that way:fl

Sounds like a true ecosystem you had in your house! Thankfully I've only encountered mealybugs, hope it stays that way:fl
I unfortunately have mealy bugs on my prayer plant. I’ve managed to keep them at bay by using alcohol but I haven’t fully eradicated them yet, I’m hoping that they don’t spread to my other plants….

I unfortunately have mealy bugs on my prayer plant. I’ve managed to keep them at bay by using alcohol but I haven’t fully eradicated them yet, I’m hoping that they don’t spread to my other plants….

For some reason they really seem to favor certain plants. Hope you banish them soon enough!

Thank you! It does, it gives me some ideas. I do have a grow light she can have. I'll look up the ones you suggested.

You might see about making a sort of lighted case, perhaps by putting an under-the-cabinets light fixture in a bookshelf and adding a little shade along the top edge. And a timer. This way she can have more of a box-of-light effect and not seem to light up the room so much. I used to grow a lot of african violets that way, and with the timer on to always give them 12-14 hour days they bloomed all the time too. There are these amazing miniature african violets that'd let you have a whole bunch of different ones in a small space. (Keeping the standard ones small makes them bloom more, too)

Back
Top Bottom