housing and companionship

pacenme

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 6, 2012
So my peacock that showed up last Aug has decided to stay.
smile.png
However he really upsets my chickens. He jumps into their pen and struts around while the chickens go running for their coop. He is free to roam the property and goes upto a tree at night He has no form of shelter and my husband and I were thinking of building him a pen w/ shelter. Since he would be penned up I thought that he would like some female comanionship? I am just soo worried that he will get hit by a car or wander off in search of shelter somewhere else. We have gotten really attached to him and would hate to loose him. So my questions are:

1- What size should the pen/shelter be?
2- What material would be best for the fence/roof of pen? We don't want to spend a lot of money.
3- Can anyone recommend a good threat to get ideas of housing w/ pics?
4- Do you think it is a good idea to get him a mate? Is one peacock to one peahen ok?
5- He is about 2-3yrs so should I get a peahen the same age?

I just got my first pair this year! Look into the coup designs here on BYC. There are also some breeder websites that have really good articles. I really like Hopkins Alternative Livestock site. He has pen ideas and is really helpful if you contact him. You could get a yearling female for your boy. I've found them to not cost as much begins they're not as fully mature as a 2 yr old. If you don't want to breed, a yearling should be fine (although a young hen can lay fertile eggs just not as many). I guess it depends on what is available around you. This is just my opinion on what I've researched this past year....hope it helps a little:)

Hi, I have had my peafowl for nearly a couple of years. I have one male (2 years) that is in a pen on his own and he seems fine, but I am getting him a 1 or 2 year old peahen later on in the year.

He lives in a 12' x 12' water/windproof stable that leads to a sheltered but not windproof 18' x 13' pen from a 2' x 1' lockable door. (I lock the door on the night to stop the draft). I live in England so our stables are quite different to the American styled stables so it may be a bit hard to explain.

My stables are made out of wood. The roof is black corrugated stuff. The pen is made out of wood, mesh, and corrugated stuff again.

I'm not an expert but every expert says my pen is a palace for peafowl aha! I cannot recommend anything as I am not very experienced but that is my set up. I also know that they prefer not to be in a draft as it is dangerous for them!

Good luck in finding the other answers! Sorry about the lack of information.

Here's a link to my peafowl build

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...the-peafowl-update-finished-pics#post_6043979

it's pretty basic, and had to be "woman" friendly as far as the build went because I am NO carpenter and neither is my hubby. I think it turned out pretty good.

If I remember correctly size should be 40 sq. feet per bird, but I may be wrong. And I would definitely get yours a mate. It's so neat to watch them display and strut. Plus they're not lonely.

I don't know where you live, but if its halfway decent weather wise, a three sided coop would work as long as its predator proof.

Back
Top Bottom