Housing chickens inside freezing temps

Aug 27, 2019
Hi All! We have a rooster with pretty bad frostbite to his wattles. Our girls are starting to developers it on their combs (mild). It’s -7 with windchill of -18.
They have a barn, a place to get out of the wind, and then an enclosed coop for night, Which they aren’t going into right. We have proper ventilation, flat panel heater and lots of straw.
Does anyone bring their birds into a garage when they have a bad case of frostbite?
I can’t even keep their waterers from freezing.
I’ll go out and get pics now.

Though some folk poo-poo the idea of bringing chickens to a more protected environment during blizzard conditions, this southern gal says if you got the room to put them in your garage then go for it. However, be very, very careful with heating lamps and so forth as I'd hate for you to burn your house down. Also, chickens are very messy so be aware you will be doing a lot of poop scooping during the chickens' visit.

Hi! Thanks for your reply. We actually decided to bring them into our barn that has a regulated temperature (although its struggling...🤣). They are all in a big dog pen now happily scratching away at the straw. Looking forward to this Arctic blast to go away.

Back
Top Bottom