Housing Jumbo Coturnix?

Quote:
She IS a BIG GIRL! LOL I still cannot get over how big she is. They say Jumbos can get up to an LB and weight....and many people say that they've never seen a jumbo as big as an lb. I think Big Bertha if she iSNT an lb is very close to one. I keep saying im going to get a food scale and i really need to im very curious how big she is. She's going to be my prime breeder to get out those bigger jumbos.
smile.png

It's kinda hard to see, but that LARGE white bird in the middle of the picture looking towards the right is Big Bertha.
smile.png
See the difference!? She's mixed in with Jumbos and Pharoahs here lol!

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/quailgal/a2-6.jpg

WOW
ep.gif
that is one monster sized A&M!!! My boys were just a tiny bit bigger than my pharoah hens!!

Now my jumbo brown babies are gonna be big guys! They are two weeks old, and already bigger than my 6 week old millie babies!!

Quote:
She IS a BIG GIRL! LOL I still cannot get over how big she is. They say Jumbos can get up to an LB and weight....and many people say that they've never seen a jumbo as big as an lb. I think Big Bertha if she iSNT an lb is very close to one. I keep saying im going to get a food scale and i really need to im very curious how big she is. She's going to be my prime breeder to get out those bigger jumbos.
smile.png

It's kinda hard to see, but that LARGE white bird in the middle of the picture looking towards the right is Big Bertha.
smile.png
See the difference!? She's mixed in with Jumbos and Pharoahs here lol!

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/quailgal/a2-6.jpg

WOW
ep.gif
that is one monster sized A&M!!! My boys were just a tiny bit bigger than my pharoah hens!!

Now my jumbo brown babies are gonna be big guys! They are two weeks old, and already bigger than my 6 week old millie babies!!

She is isnt she!? I just love her, esp those HUGe eggs! I have one of her daughers she's a jumbo brown. She's NO WHERE near as big as her mama...so I have a lot of selective breeding to do...... :rollseyes:

Quote:
yes she's a white meat girl. The male I'm going to breed her to for a while (to fill A & M orders) is an PURE white A& M male (no markings on him) and he's a solid boy he's not as big as her, but then again i dont have ANY jumbos as big as her haha! So they should ALL be white A &Ms though some may have the normally accepted colored spots esp on their head....this doesnt mean anything really it just shows the color the birds are masking. But yes breeding an A &M to an A &M she'd produce almost all white meat birds (A & Ms) however theres a possibility she could produce a jumbo brown....which would ofcourse be a dark meat bird. I wont know until I hatch more of her eggs (in the spring). Her daughter I have now is a jumbo brown, she's a product of Big Bertha being in an assorted pen so she was probably mated by a jumbo brown.
smile.png

If you'd like I will put you on my waiting list and when I'm able to fill your request I will contact you to get your payment and I'll start collecting only eggs from Big Bertha. Though, since she'd only lay an egg a day, I'd probably have to ship you out after a full week of collecting which sitll wouldnt be many eggs. What I could do is mark which are her eggs (you'll know lol but i'd mark them just for your benifit) and also collect you from the other a & M hens in the pen. Up to you what you'd like to do.
smile.png

edited to add, if you're interested in eggs from her bred to a different colored male i'd have to do your order as special and probably later in the summer (after most of my A &M orders are through). I'd probably pair her up wiht my large jumbo golden male Hawn. You should get only goldens with that mixture, or goldens with some white feathers. Should still be dark meated birds.

Last edited:
Quote:
You'll be going on in a second here. I wanted to add, I can do something else for ya!!!

I can collect eggs specifically from Big Bertha (mark them as hers), and collect from ALL my other pens (that are dark meat) ONLY the big eggs. None will be AS big as Big Berthas, but I could select all the biggest eggs from each birds pens. So you'd have assorted colors, and have a shot at much bigger birds than just the normals. When it comes your time on my list though I'll see what you're intersted in as i'll have a better idea what other hens are giving me the biggest eggs that might be perfect for what you need.
smile.png

*on the list you go* <--it's no obligation ofcourse
smile.png

That would be great you are wonderful
I have a friend who is a farmer I could breed them and get her to raise some for me to eat she is not a big baby like me lol. I see quail dinner in my future!! Happy dance

Quote:
YAY!!!! Coturnix meat is delish. I miss eating it! I'd probably serve it for dinner atleast once a week if I bred hundreds to supply the meat for that (for every week dinner lol). I personally onlycull for meat when i have excess males since im focusing mostly on breeding and genetics....

if i ever have more pens for just meat birds as well I would in a heartbeat! :d I envy those of you who grow them up just for meat i wish i could do that but i have the urge to breed them for their genetics and type more ha ha!!!
lau.gif

Quote:
I'll second that! *different from buttons* I can't stand my buttons because of how much easier my coturnix are temperment wise.
smile.png
Buttons are cute and all but i love coturnixs
smile.png

I grew up learning to disassociate pets with food, so I'm able to cull and breed and keep some for pet (aka breeders) LOL!

Back
Top Bottom