Housing Peafowl with other Poultry

nkieler

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 10, 2014
I have a small farm where I have a mating pair of peafowl, 2 ducks, and 2 geese. Currently the ducks and geese live together in a decently sized area with a small pond and 2 fruit trees and the peafowl are living in a small completely enclosed cage. I would like to move the peafowl in with the ducks and the geese so that they have more room and trees to roost in but I want to make sure that the different species can't be housed together before I start to modify the area to accommodate the peafowl. Any advice would help, thanks! Oh and I would also like to throw in a couple of rare breed hens if that is possible.

I have a small farm where I have a mating pair of peafowl, 2 ducks, and 2 geese. Currently the ducks and geese live together in a decently sized area with a small pond and 2 fruit trees and the peafowl are living in a small completely enclosed cage. I would like to move the peafowl in with the ducks and the geese so that they have more room and trees to roost in but I want to make sure that the different species can't be housed together before I start to modify the area to accommodate the peafowl. Any advice would help, thanks! Oh and I would also like to throw in a couple of rare breed hens if that is possible.

Will you be free ranging the birds, or is the duck/goose area enclosed also?

The duck and geese area has a half fence surrounding it but I would plan on covering the whole area including the top if I move the peas over there sort of like an aviary. The area is in the shape of a triangle and is about 20' wide by 32' long and then the diagonal side.

Hmm...you've got 320 square feet, but I don't know how much room ducks and geese require...

If you do a search, you'll find a lot of good advice here about netting for covering aviaries.

Hmm...you've got 320 square feet, but I don't know how much room ducks and geese require...

If you do a search, you'll find a lot of good advice here about netting for covering aviaries.

Hmmm, and then there's the small pond in there too? Is there any kind of building or enclosure for shelter, or is it completely open to the elements? What region of the country (world?) are you in? How cold/hot does it get there, and how bad is the wind?

This area is sounding pretty small for what you have in mind, is there any way to enlarge your enclosure?

Welcome, there's lots of helpful folks here, glad you joined us.

I have raised goslings and ducklings with peas and it can get messy i would never place peas and water fowl together in that size pen because it would not be good for them, plus the mud will get all over their feathers and train if they have one
wink.png
I just finished a 400 square foot pen and i would only put a trio or a pair in there if i kept mine penned, this pen is for some peas i ordered back in may and the ones i keep will only be in there till early next year.

Last edited:

What region of the country (world?) are you in?  How cold/hot does it get there, and how bad is the wind?

It is becoming my pet peeve, folks that do not fill in their profile so we can give better advise.  :he

You're funny... Way off topic, but I've been thinking about doing some BYC top ten lists and your post just made me think of another list, lol.

Top Ten Pet Peeves
Top Ten Ways to Kill Your Bird
Top Ten Medical Misinformations
Top Ten Wormer Misinformations

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom