housing questions

rocketbunni

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
I have no idea about the nesting questions but I think you'd find that ramp too steep for ducks. They will use ramps but prefer to stay somewhat close to the ground. It's a cute little coop though. But what do I know, my boys sleep in a plastic tote I modified!
lol.png

ok thank you, so i'd probably be better with a secure pen with a little shelter in? ..do people tend to shut ducks in there house over night? or let them come and go as they please?

If you have a secure predator-proof pen there's no need to lock them in a house for the night. But, a predator proof pen is a lot of work. My ducklings are in a dog pen. I modified a plastic tote to make them a house. You could modify a dog house easily. It just needs plenty of ventilation, a solid locking door, and easy access for cleaning and egg removal. I made a chicken coop out of a plastic playhouse and plan on making a duck house out of another one I have when the ducks get bigger. Links to the tote and coop are in my sig line.

Last edited:
My ducks like to get under stuff. They don't like to be cooped up. Check out the coop building threads on this site. Lots of folks have posted pictures of duck houses and pens. I have a post where I am buidling a house from pallets for under $100. Building is still in progress.

My ducks and geese use a ramp without any trouble. My duckbarn and goosehouse are raised up off the ground and I thought the ramps I put on would be too steep but I attached some of those non-slip tread strips and they have no problem at all getting in and out of their shelter. Mine will also lay in the nest boxes I put in there as long as I train them early with fake eggs planted in the nest (use something similarly weighted, like wood eggs). Some of the girls (Cayuga's mostly) really like to make their own pretty nests in the straw bedding. They also like to cover the top with a little straw to hide them but after a while you learn to recognize it. And my runner girls very often are taken by surprise... they will sometimes drop them where they stand - LOL! It doesn't happen that often tho.

Now my Muscovy PREFER to climb a ramp and nest high. My duckbarn is double-decker with the Muscovy living above. They have a long ramp with a 90 degree turn. Even my 15 lbs lumbering drake climbs it with no problem! The girls skip the lower ramp and flap up to the highest part. I used 1 x 1 firring strips stapled to the 24 in wide ramp to give their claws a place to grip. Inside their "apartment" they have another ramp that takes the girls up to their nest boxes... the drake has made one of the boxes his cubbie too! I didn't expect that but it's kind of cute.
tongue.png

The only thing I would say is that a ramp is ok as long as its not too high. The reason I say this is because my ducks use the ramp fine, but they also like falling off it too! Luckily my ramp is not more than a few inchs off the ground but I can imagine this being a problem should it be any higher.
smile.png

i have this exact coop. my three chickens sleep upstairs and then hubby has made a 'duck bunk' to go underneath out of some wood. however, the ducks do somethimes fancy sleeping upstairs and get up the ramp perfectly well.

they are locked in at night by the boted door and have an outside pen for the day when im at work but when home have the run of the garden and pond.

the ducks lay downstairs just on the floor and the chickens use the nesting boxes, despite finding both Quackers and Benny asleep in the nest boxes they have not laid in there

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom