Housing size for 7 buttons, also for 2 pekins

Dill

Chilling Out
11 Years
Nov 10, 2008
FL
What would be the minium size to comfortably house 7 button quail?

And what would be a good sized pen for 2 pekin ducks that will only be in the pen for 10-12 hrs a day?

You can keep a trio of buttons in a 10 gallon fish tank, so you would need at least twice that. I've seen a lot of people use the plastic bottomed rabbit/guinea pig cages for them. You can find them on craigslist fairly cheap.

Would the ducks be in the pen during the day or at night? If it's at night, they would basically need a dog house to sleep in, with a door to lock them up. Other than that, I think they need about 8 or 10 sq ft per bird, though I'm not sure about that.

Last edited:
In the daytime only. what would 8-10 square ft per duck be in length/width/height? I still haven't mastered square footage lol.

I've seen a lot of people use the plastic bottomed rabbit/guinea pig cages for them. You can find them on craigslist fairly cheap.

Good idea. thanks!​

Quote:
Good idea. thanks!

hey Dill!..
smile.png
..i stink with the square footage stuff also..
he.gif
.....do you have any floor tiles in your house..not the small ones....the bigger ones.....THAT is 1 square foot..(i think!)...so....you would need AT LEAST 20 of them for 2 ducks living space(just for a pen size idea...)....does that help at all?..or make it worse?....LOL...or do you have an adult around to help you figure it out?....good luck!...hows Dill after the dog thing?...

Not really but worked all day trying to divide a 10 X 16 shed I got for $200.00 into smaller coops for my new babies. So I did alot of figuring til I came up with the right amount of space for the different colors and breeds.

Quote:
Good idea. thanks!

hey Dill!..
smile.png
..i stink with the square footage stuff also..
he.gif
.....do you have any floor tiles in your house..not the small ones....the bigger ones.....THAT is 1 square foot..(i think!)...so....you would need AT LEAST 20 of them for 2 ducks living space(just for a pen size idea...)....does that help at all?..or make it worse?....LOL...or do you have an adult around to help you figure it out?....good luck!...hows Dill after the dog thing?...

Dill's doing good. I think she'll be fine
smile.png
*knocks on wood*

Yeah I may have one of those tiles. I know we used to have one on the porch..

math and i are not friends..

Me neither. I'm so glad that after Geometry I'll never have to take another math course again.​

Personally I try for 1sq ft per button. I think a 10g is too small for a trio. I don't even like putting pairs in 10 gallons but would accept that as a minimum. It's really boring for the buttons and they are boring to watch in such small enclosures. All pets are much more interesting and happier with less stress and resulting bad behaviors when they have space and enrichment. Buttons also do better when in pairs or trios not large groups unless they have a larger pen. You'd be better off breaking them into 2 or 3 groups in cages of 2-3sq ft or larger.

I'll probably put my future buttons (theres a chance I'm getting 7 in few days) in a rabbit hutch I have once they're grown. Its pretty big, and I can always upgradde too.

sO a group of 7 most likely won't get along? What if they are in a big cage? I have no idea what their sexes are btw.

ETA: Yea, my rabbit hutch is defintely at least 7 square feet wide. later i'll find one of those tiles we have and see exactly how many.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom