Houston, we have a pip

FutureChickenMan

Songster
12 Years
Oct 29, 2007
So, day 21 doesn't officially start until 5pm tonight.. but this morning at 6 am I heard a faint little peep from the bator while doing dishes.. I wandered over, shined the flashlight in the bator and saw one egg has a tiny hole in it. Good to know since those brown eggs aren't too easy to candle. First bator try ever and it's good to know I have at least one pip out of my efforts.

Now, I did follow the directions on the Genesis 1588 with turner but I didn't obsess over it at all. Just followed the instructions, checked water levels every other day, used a run of the mill temp/humidity guage from the local hardware store; nothing special or super accurate. Humidity ran between 40-50% consistantly, temps ranged from 98.4 to 99 consistantly. When I added the extra water and removed the turner humidity ranged from 70-73% temps again 98.4 to 99.

Hoping for a 50+% hatch rate.. that'd make me happy for a first timer but we'll have to wait and see.

Hope you get lots and lots of babies !!!!!!!! And don't forget to post lots of pics !!!!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

needmorechickens! :

FutureChickenMan - how is that pip coming along? Any zipping? How many eggs do you have in there?
~Rebecca

I'm at work so I cant give ya an update on the pippage yet.. But there's 23 eggs in the bator..​

congrats! good to hear you got a pip! I hope mine pips soon! it's day 25 and all it's doing is wiggling!
hmm.png

alrighty.. the one the pipped this morning is out and kinda moving around a bit, then resting, chirping then resting. It appears this one is either a pure black giant or a black giant mix as the legs/fuzz are black and that's the only breed i have with black legs. It's still in the wet stage though.

There are 3 other eggs with either pip holes are at least cracks indicating pipping is eminent. I can hear another chick peeping through the shell. But so far, only one out and moving around.

second chick just zipped out, got to see it tumble out of the shell.. the mrs thought it was exciting. even our 6 month old got big eyes looking at the peeps. looks like another jersey giant.

so far I'm 2 out of 23 or 8% hatch rate.

Last edited:
Hey Future Chicken Man. Glad to hear so far so good!! Things seem to be progressing nicely for you! I'm day 19 with those first eggs from ebay and I'm sure I hear peeping from more than one eggnow. The ones I got from you are doing great too!! Day 13 today. Only 2 showed no growth so I've got 10 more. Its gonna be better than Christmas when they start hatching. You'll have to help me figure out who there momma & daddy might be!

Back
Top Bottom