Hovabator fan

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rizq, Oct 18, 2008.

1. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I just got a used forced air hovabator 2362. The fan cuts out when the thermostat kicks the heating element off and the fan makes as unpleasant noise as it winds to a halt. Is it supposed to kick in and out? Should I worry about that awful sound?

I am anxiously trying to get this thing set up so I can get my Hamburg and serama mutt eggs set before they are too old [​IMG]

2. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    A shot of mineral oil on the bearings should take care of that, as well as prolong the life of it.
    [​IMG]

3. rizq

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I'll try that. It would be nice if it would shut up since it is in my bedroom. It doesn't take much to wake me up, lol.

So is it supposed to stop like that? I was under the impression that the fan usually ran constantly.

Thanks [​IMG]

4. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    the fan needs to run constantly. Probably you have one of those do it yourself jobs that is wired wrong. Hopefully you or someone in your family can fix it quick. I got one like that at an auction and hubby fixed it for me:)

5. rizq

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    It is the 2362, so it came with the fan installed. BUT, this doesn't mean that somewhere along the way the fan wasn't replaced and wired incorrectly. Thanks for the answers. I'll get my Dad to look at it. I am sure he can fix it [​IMG]

6. rizq

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    Oh, and I oiled the fan bearings and it runs quiet as a mouse now! Doesn't make that awful scrunchy squeak when it stops either.

Thanks!

7. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Quote:If you need a schematic on how to properly wire it to have it run the entire time, I will be glad to draw one up for you. Shoot me a PM and I will do that and post it.

Schematic below.........copy and print for your Dad.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  8. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Becki...........

This will take care of your fan running all the time.

[​IMG]

9. rizq

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    Thanks so much! That should help a lot. I'll let you know how it goes [​IMG]

10. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Quote:Youre more than welcome.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by