Hovabator or Brinsea?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Angiebubs, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Wondering what experienced hatchers prefer?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Breinsea all the way.!!!!!!! If you don't get the egg turner, it is very easy to raotte on your own without having to touch the eggs, it is made of plastic and therefore extremely easy to clean, and it is NOT made of styrofoam! Temps stay even, humidity is easy to control. I woul dNEVER consider an hovabator. YMMV

3. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    I do like my Brinsea Eco very, very much. Very user friendly, and I've had good hatches with it. To be fair, I have no experience with the hovabator.

4. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Had several 100% hatches in my brinesea. Love it & wouldn't pick any other brand over it.

5. stellas mommy

stellas mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    My hova doesnt keep the temp stable it goes all over the board

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Brinsea! [​IMG] I have 2 of the octagon 20s and 1 of the mini ecos.. love all of them

7. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    I love my Hovabator 1588! I've had excellent hatch rates on all my shipped eggs (never taken an egg directly from under a hen). I do use an auto egg turner with it. And you have to add water through some tubing every few days, but no issues with fluctuating temperatures.
    I just set 26 eggs today. Hope I didn't just jinx myself [​IMG]

8. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    LOL Discoveregg-Good luck

9. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    1st hatch with a 1588

Has held near on 100 since day 1, has been spot on with humidity as well.

Today was day 21, 6 hatched so far with more on the way. Cant say how it compares to others, but sure seems to do exactly what it is supposed to.

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They both work. The Brinsea is easier to use but costs a bit more. If an egg exploded or something like that, the Brinsea would be easier to clean. With the plastic tray in the bottom, cleaning the 1588 has not been a problem, but potentially it could be. If you put the 1588 in a good place where the temperatures are stable and it is not in direct sun or in front of a vent, it holds temperature fine. At least mine does.

I got the Hovabator 1588 based on how many times I hatch a year. I only run two hatches a year so I could not justify the added expense of the Brinsea. If I were going to use it more than that, I would probably have chosen the Brinsea.

Whichever one you choose, I strongly suggest getting the automatic egg turner. It is just so much easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by