How about a Thread for Embdens?

Hi I'm planning on remodelling my outside pen for my geese, ducks and chickens this spring. I was wondering if anybody knew of some good quality poultry fencing, and where to get it for a good price that would be good for all my poultry, since they all live in the same pen. Wh
Welded wire and at least 2'high hardware cloth 1/2" around bottom to keep preds from reaching in and grabbing. still hopefully they have a secure house for night time because weasels, minks, etc can get through 1" openings I have read. Some even dig down 1' and place wire down into ground to keep out diggers. We ended up buying our fencing at Lowes.

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures of how the pen would look?
Here we just put up no climb horse fencing with barb wire around the top it's about 1/2 acre. It's for day light only at dusk everyone is locked up. We decided on no climb horse fencing because we had blk bears destroying our welded wire fencing. climbing over. But here is link that may give you some ideas, and the threat of preds. some completely cover their pens some to me are pretty lax on their fencing, I just know you have to make it as secure as you can afford. or you'll suffer losses. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/512314/post-pictures-of-your-duck-pen-coop/90

Kalsti, it is so cold here that there is no cleaning the outdoor pen and "hay house". Everything is frozen hard as a rock and the water pans are surrounded by a sheet of ice. I just keep throwing down additional mulch hay and straw using the deep litter method to keep them off the ice and dry in their house. With weeks of sub-freezing weather and horrible wind chills the embden geese and pekin ducks are doing fine. They also get some nice grassy second cutting hay to eat and spread some of that around, too.

Thank you, will do that, hopefully they are not paying for my silly mistake. Do you also do the 10min cooldown everyday on your goose eggs at the moment? what temperature are you using? Do you a place where I can get a guide that are specific to Embden?

I incubate at 99*F. Start cooling at day 7 for 10 min. working up to 20/25 minutes just before lockdown on day 28. My routine is too pull a set of eggs... candle... then mist and cool. I start with the oldest ones and work to the newest. Then replace in the incubator in the reverse order. this leaves the oldest to cool the longest. My incubator however ... will hold up to 100 goose eggs. I have a separate hatcher.

Sorry for not replying, her legs are all good now. I'm still binfuzzled on how she got that way but now she is in her wing molt and it is snowing with their feathers. I can't wait for eggs I want goslings!

Edited:
Do you guy's think my goose's legs got like that from sitting on eggs in the wrong nest? She had a tire filled with hay as a nest and she rarely got up. I figured her legs lost circulation... has anyone had this happen before, I mean she is fine now, I just want to prevent this from happening again
That's great news!! Just sitting and not eating and taking care of herself can cause them to get weak, I make my water fowl get off the nest at least one time a day unless they do it on their own. Depends on the size of the tire too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom