How about this? Pigs?

pigs are smart animals... just like dogs.. they eat what you let them eat..

we keep our pigs away from our sheeps and goats during lambing time, we make sure they can't get to the chickens eggs... but apart from that, they run with the rest of the animals here... if one decides to be extra clever.. then there's always the freezer....

They do eat meat.. just like the dogs.. but they eat what they are given, not hunt.

P3041549.jpg

I raise pot-belly pigs and regular hogs. We have also had some wild hogs that we trapped.

Pigs are not protectors of animals. Predators are not afraid of pigs.

Our wild sow did not eat any chickens, my pot-belly pigs have not eaten any chickens, but our domestic hogs do chase and corner chickens and eat them. We do not feed them meat, but if they feel like it, they will go after the chickens. The game breeds are too quick for them, but when my laying hens think they can get a free meal from the pig feeder, they are taking a dangerous chance.

My pot-belly pigs stay with the goats some of the time, but I have to move them if I have anything ready to have a baby. All pigs will kill and eat newborns as they are being born. The smell of blood will really set them off, especially the boars.

Jean

Quote:
*redhens taking notes... dispose of personal property OFF of my property...*
tongue.png

That sounds like an episode of criminal minds from a couple years back.
Scarily it was based on the true story of a Pig Farming serial killer in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia. He was killing street people from Vancouver.

Imp

Quote:
*redhens taking notes... dispose of personal property OFF of my property...*
tongue.png

Scarily it was based on the true story of a Pig Farming serial killer in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia. He was killing street people from Vancouver.

Imp

That is my favorite Criminal Minds episode! lol

Quote:

Imp

That is my favorite Criminal Minds episode! lol

Got me thinking about the movie Snatch... My favorite line in that movie " Beware a man who keeps a pig farm!"

Our feeder hogs would eat the chickens, we had a couple fly into their pens and they were goners. I have 2 pot bellied in with my chickens now and it doesn't seem to be a problem. We even get a chicken that likes to ride on ones back, cute as heck. I think if you kept a pot belly fed decent and had it with them since it was young it wouldn't be a problem but there is always risk involved.

I keep trapped Ferrel hogs in a pen and the chickens can and do hop in there any time they want to eat anything laying around. Unless a chicken is bleeding the pigs pay no mind at all.These are wild pigs. If I process a chicken I can throw any bits leftover in the pen and they are gobbled up. So this story about pigs eating a chicken if they can catch it might only be if nobody is feeding them at all or if the chicken is hurt/bleeding. They all get along here.
41721_piggies.jpg

Chicken catching and eating is a learned behavior. Once learned it doesn't go away. Cowdogcadillac, neat picture.

Back
Top Bottom