How aggressive are ganders?

Darn...I only want all females or all males... don't really want any mating. I know someone with 2 duck hens and a goose and they're perfectly happy together. Thoughts?
2 duck hens and a goose would be fine it's 2 duck hens and a gander where your going to have mating, it's only natural.
smile.png

hmm well then I guess I'll get females! I still need to do a lot more research before I get them though
he.gif

If nothing else, I admire your tenacity...!!!
So, since no one else has wanted to tackle your questions, I guess I'll go ahead and give it a try. But please keep in mind that these are only my opinions and they should not be taken as fact.

1. As soon as you can. You don't have to offer grit in the very beginning, but as soon as they eat anything other than their starter crumbles, you'll need to give them grit in a separate bowl.
2. I wouldn't put anyone outside until they were at least 6 weeks old, and even then, it would depend on the weather. 8 weeks would be better, 12 even better than that, and 16 would be...well, you get the picture, I'm sure. Put them out when you're ready to, just be reasonable.
3. In about 3 months, give or take.
4. You should at least try to stay within the same brand of feed for continuity, but if you must change, gradual is best. Or wait until your changing types of feed at least. For example...moving from starter/grower feed to laying or maintenance feed.
5. A lot. Mine are usually the loudest in the morning after I let them out. They'll honk and fuss a little every time they see me (or hear me, for that matter), again when I bring them treats, again before being put to bed (they let me know when they're ready) and once more if they sense a stranger or danger...and, of course, any other time they feel like it...lol !!!
6. American Buffs, Pilgrims, Pomeranians, Cotton Patch...all are fairly docile breeds, or so I've heard. I only have Buffs, and they're great.
7. Just their pride. No, seriously, I haven't heard of anything other than minor feather loss and that may be just a myth...IDK.
8. Generally speaking, the more you handle and interact with them, the better. Absence, in this instance, DOESN'T make the heart grow fonder.
9. For starters, you could eat them...but if eggs just aren't your cup of tea, you can always throw them out! (I believe giving them away, selling them and using them in crafts have already been mentioned, so I won't beat a dead horse).
10. At about 18-24 weeks of age.
11. Oyster shell is given to hens of laying age to increase/improve the quality of their egg shells. Just put some in a bowl by their regular feed and they'll eat it ad lib.
12. It really depends on the breed. But on average, let's say 1 egg every other day or so.
13. On average, ducks and geese will molt for a few weeks in the summer, just after the breeding season has passed. This is when they usually lose all their flight feathers, all at once, and cannot fly.

I hope this helps in answering some of your questions...and if not...you know where to find us to ask some more...lol !!!

Take Care and Good Luck!

Thanks so much for the answers! Also, is oyster shell a necessity if you aren't planning on hatching the eggs?

YES !!! You have to remember that a hen isn't like a short order cook...she doesn't lay eggs as a 'special order'. She doesn't know if you're eating the eggs or throwing them at passing cars. The shell of an egg is largely constructed of calcium. Let's suppose that your hen lays an egg a day, or roughly 275 eggs a year. That's a lot of shells to make and a lot more calcium needed to make them. So if your chicken doesn't receive any additional calcium, but keeps turning out eggs day after day, doesn't it stand to reason that eventually she'd run out? (she really doesn't, but you get my point, right?) This need for her to continually produce extra calcium puts a great deal of stress of her body. And now we hereby arrive at the reason we need to provide extra calcium to our hens.
I hope that helps!

I only found oyster shell for chickens. Would it work for ducks and geese? Also could I give them like a chicken layer feed or should I try and find it for mixed poultry? (I know it has to be non medicated, and I have found it for mixed poultry until after finisher.)

OK...I'll tell what I use and then you can subtract from, or add to it as you see fit...

For my entire flock (2 turkeys, 2 American Buff geese, 9 chickens and 15 or so pigeons) I feed a 20% protein Waterfowl Maintenance pellet with an additional bowl of cleaned crushed granite (grit) and another one of oyster shell (yes, it can be used for waterfowl also).

In addition to their pelleted food, I chop up several bundles of Romaine lettuce, a head of cabbage and a bag of celery stalks EVERYDAY, to feed them. On hot afternoons, I'll throw them a melon or two. Watermelon and cantaloupe are their favorites!

Oh, and did I mention that they also free-range during the day!

Back
Top Bottom