How are Border Collies for pets and living with chickens

Pics

rocketdoctor

Chirping
12 Years
May 10, 2010
I have the opportunity to get a thorougbred Border Collie, I was curious whats peoples experience with these dogs around chickens, I really want to get a dog that will I can allow my chickens to free range around my large yard without getting picked off by cats or foxes like we had before. I also have a cockateil thats wonders around my house and don't want a dog to chase it around. Also how are these dogs around kids, I have a 7 and 9 year old that really want to a dog as well.

My wife warns me that these dogs are alot of work and not great with kids but thats not my experience with freinds whove had these dogs in the past.

any help and advice on these dogs would be greatly appreciated , my kids and chickens would appreciate it as well

Really do your research before getting a Border Collie. I love my BC and she is a great chicken herder she will guard them with her life and she rounds them up in the evening and puts them away. Several things you should know about BC. They are great but plan on doing alot of training and can't say it in more clearly than if you don't have the time , space and understanding of this breed you will have a lot of heart ache and tore up things because thier minds have to be challenged or they will find something to do. Makes me thing of a joke where the quetion was how many dogs does it take to change a light bulb it gave a list of different breeds but the answer for the BC was one and after changing the light bulb he/she would rewire your house for you and ask what is next the cat said you do it. They are equivelent to Doctor degree in dogs intellegents. Sorry this is so long but hope it helps you out.

Personally I say it depends upon what your BC was breed for - is this a show line or a working line. Show line - I have never, ever had any luck with them - and will not have one in my house.

Working line - I have one and she is worth her weight in gold! She is outside with the chickens from morning until lock-up. Great with chooks, ducks, geese and my horses - but she does have a job! Her job is rodents - rabbits, squirrels, mice, pack rats, rats - all are activly hunted. I can and do leave the house with the dogs (BC and Cane Corso mastiff) out and about, free with the chickens, ducks, geese. When I come home, dogs and fowl great me.

I have 2 border collies and 63 chickens. We didn't get chickens until my senior collie was 5. He is a mother hen (no punt intended). They both are great with the chickens and mark all around the run to keep predators away. When my older boy gets to be to much I will put him in the chicken run and tell him to round up the flock. They are both great with our kids, 4 and 2. They are very protective of them and let them climb all over them. In general I love the breed but you need to research it first to make sure it is a great fit for you. Yes they are very active and need lots of attention. If they don't get the attention they need they can become aggressive or destructive. My dog used to take to eatting expensive clothing and furniture when he was bored. He also barks a lot when new people come in. They are an aquired taste. Most of my friends can only take my dogs in small doses, lol.
I will ask you this, how old is the dog you were offered and what is his background? All dogs are different and it is hard to determine what their temperment will be until they are tested. Unless he is a puppy I would be leary of bringing him into your home. Question why he is being offered to you, do his owners need to get rid of him for a reason? And medical history. Good luck to you. If you get him post a picture.

I've never owned a border collie, but I've seen a LOT of border collies and border collie mixes euthanized at animal control due to uncontrollable behavioral issues, usually stemming from lack of working dog related stimulation and a lack of understanding on the owner's part about what such a specialized breed of dog needs. I've seen a lot of them get put down due to lack of training.

I personally wouldn't own a border collie unless I actually had animals that needed daily herding, because every one I've encountered (either as someone's backyard pet or at the shelter) has been extremely loud and neurotic. The ones in the shelter also seemed prone to aggression as well. Very high-strung dogs. Beautiful but not for everybody.

Roxy is soooo cute...We found a Pyrenees/collie/Anatolian shepherd puppy for sale, but there is somebody else in line for him first...if they fall through, do y'all think that that mix would be good to "Gaurd" our 150 chickens? Does the gender change their guarding ability and insticts?
Don't see why not. I have two Border Collie/Pyrenees mix pups. They are very good dogs, but need extra training for jumping up. My female especially likes to jump up and give you kisses on the mouth. She also nipped more early on, but was easily broken of that. They have been trained to stay on the property, and are doing well with that, but I'm still putting up a fence so they can stay out around the clock. Very mindful dogs if you treat them well and are consistent. They don't respond well to hitting and will bite back or be very sullen. They are great with my kids, besides the occasional jumping up when they have been cooped up. I did get them mixed because I wanted them to be a larger dog and a little more laid back. Worked out for me anyway. The female is more border collie-ish, the male more pyrenees. They are from working dogs, not a designer mix.

Last edited:
They are awesome dogs. The male is perpetually happy, and so willing to please, but wants to try to head off more. Just got em fixed and it seems to have helped that. The female is very mindful. The male is 75 lbs and the female 65 lbs. I was worried about the wandering tendencies of LGD's as well, and the hyperactivity of Border Collies, but I wanted a Border Collie so bad. I'm quite happy with them. They do play rough with each other since puppies, but that's why I got two, so they could have company.
Oh wow! They sound wonderful.

Quote:
What kind of questions or how can I determine this, these dogs are from a farm that took my unwanted rooster. I imagine they are working dogs.

Ask if they are registered with AKC. If so, they are show lines 99% of the time. I have 2 border collies, both working lines. Great dogs if you are going to do something with them. If they are going to be house dogs that you want just hanging around, pick another breed.

In terms of kids, it depends. How old and how dog savvy are they? Border Collies can be high strung, particularly those who haven't been brought up well. They need exercise, but even more so they need to use their BRAINS. If you want a dog who you can teach to play frisbee, herd sheep, do agility, get your paper in the morning, etc. and you plan on training it, you won't find a better dog. If training is low on your priority list, don't get it. As the saying goes, if you don't give them a job they will find one and you may not like it!!
wink.png

My wife has a border collie and I can't stand him. Barks at me when I talk to my wife barks when I go out the door barks at my nephews diesel pick-up when he pulls out of their lane a 1/4 mile away. First thing he did was grab a hen when he bolted out the back door. Just feathers, but I believe if I hadn't gotten to them he would have killed her and then just turned a walked away. I would not hurt the dog but I do NOT like him.

Back
Top Bottom