How big for a chick safety area door?

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
I have my chicks in a separate area in the run. They sleep in a dog crate in the coop. They are 3.5 weeks old. Are they old enough to cut doors in the area they are in to let them into the whole run and separate outside fencing? If so, how big should the doors be? My smallest hen is an EE, they are all standard breeds.

Thanks.

I have my chicks in a separate area in the run. They sleep in a dog crate in the coop. They are 3.5 weeks old. Are they old enough to cut doors in the area they are in to let them into the whole run and separate outside fencing? If so, how big should the doors be? My smallest hen is an EE, they are all standard breeds.

Thanks.
I made my doors ~2"x3.25" and they continued to fit through them up to about 7 weeks old.
built in brooder from coop side.jpg
chicks first time pop doors open.jpg

I made my doors ~2"x3.25" and they continued to fit through them up to about 7 weeks old.View attachment 3577399View attachment 3577400
Thank you, that’s perfect! Do you think mine are old enough to let them explore more area? They’ve been in the run see-no-touch for over a week.

I’ve also been locking the big girls out of the run about 90 minutes before they usually go to roost. The littles come into the other side of the run to explore, and they’ve actually been going up the ramp & steps into the dog crate on their own (except for one or two that are busy scratching in the dirt and need reminders). They go in about 30-45 minutes before my hens. I lock them in the crate and then let the hens back in the run.

Thank you, that’s perfect! Do you think mine are old enough to let them explore more area? They’ve been in the run see-no-touch for over a week.

I’ve also been locking the big girls out of the run about 90 minutes before they usually go to roost. The littles come into the other side of the run to explore, and they’ve actually been going up the ramp & steps into the dog crate on their own (except for one or two that are busy scratching in the dirt and need reminders). They go in about 30-45 minutes before my hens. I lock them in the crate and then let the hens back in the run.
Absolutely! I started opening the hidey holes at 2ish weeks old with all my hatches this year, the only chicken that paid them any mind was my roo who would tidbit for them, lol

Update: tried the holes, needed much bigger than 2x3.25 (my tiniest legbar couldn’t fit through,) so they are more around 3”x4.5” (my Australorp and OE, the biggest, could juuuust get through that size.)

I put one on each side of their space and one in the middle. I have them under the coop (it is 2.5ft high, and 8x8, so plenty of space).

I brought my crazy broody in first. She’s a SF who’s not quite right. She has been calling them over to the screen to feed them, and goes in to bed early and tries to call the chicks in. She sleeps in the nest box next to the dog crate until dark when I move her on the roost. They did great with her, she was feeding them and cooing at them. Brought in 3 more hens, one at a time, and aside from one warning peck from my SE when one of the babies was eating off of broody’s beak, they had no issues. Until broody went batty. There is one whitish chick, and broody went crazy chasing him/her. Two other hens followed. I pushed them out of the way and the little one ran through the safety hole. After watching for another 45 minutes, everything seemed fine again. I moved all the hen food out into the run extension to avoid any food battles if the littles tried to eat their food.

I covered up the holes and came inside. I *think* they will be fine, but I’m worried about the hens gangging up on one and pinning it against the fencing if they get too far from their area. Thoughts? Am I worrying too much? I will definitely keep the doors closed when I’m not home, but I’d like to keep the doors open during the day when I’m here (most days except for errands or appointments until school starts).

Last edited:
Update: tried the holes, needed much bigger than 2x3.25 (my tiniest legbar couldn’t fit through,) so they are more around 3”x4.5” (my Australorp and OE, the biggest, could juuuust get through that size.)

I moved all the hen food out into the run extension to avoid any food battles if the littles tried to eat their food.

I covered up the holes and came inside. I *think* they will be fine, but I’m worried about the hens hanging up on one and pinning it against the fencing if they get too far from their area. Thoughts?
Those are pretty big chicks for 3.5 weeks, are you sure on the age? My answer would've been "brick sized" and that's 2x4. I have chicks 7, 8 weeks of age still managing to barely squeeze through openings that size.

Do you have ample clutter in the run that doesn't have pinch points (like I don't have any clutter up against walls, so chicks can run all the way around) as well as feeders spread throughout the area? That's how to prevent chicks from being cornered and reduce guarding of food.

Those are pretty big chicks for 3.5 weeks, are you sure on the age? My answer would've been "brick sized" and that's 2x4. I have chicks 7, 8 weeks of age still managing to barely squeeze through openings that size.

Do you have ample clutter in the run that doesn't have pinch points (like I don't have any clutter up against walls, so chicks can run all the way around) as well as feeders spread throughout the area? That's how to prevent chicks from being cornered and reduce guarding of food.
Absolutely sure on age, they came from a hatchery and my other broody hatched a couple. 😊 She’s the biggest:
image.jpg

Doors are about brick size now, but not as tall. I cut them into the plastic fencing divider with cardboard outline to help them see, so I can adjust later if they outgrow them.

I put one on each side of their space and one in the middle. I have them under the coop (it is 2.5ft high, and 8x8, so plenty of space).

I brought my crazy broody in first. She’s a SF who’s not quite right. She has been calling them over to the screen to feed them, and goes in to bed early and tries to call the chicks in. She sleeps in the nest box next to the dog crate until dark when I move her on the roost. They did great with her, she was feeding them and cooing at them. Brought in 3 more hens, one at a time, and aside from one warning peck from my SE when one of the babies was eating off of broody’s beak, they had no issues. Until broody went batty. There is one whitish chick, and broody went crazy chasing him/her. Two other hens followed. I pushed them out of the way and the little one ran through the safety hole. After watching for another 45 minutes, everything seemed fine again. I moved all the hen food out into the run extension to avoid any food battles if the littles tried to eat their food.

I covered up the holes and came inside. I *think* they will be fine, but I’m worried about the hens hanging up on one and pinning it against the fencing if they get too far from their area. Thoughts? Am I worrying too much? I will definitely keep the doors closed when I’m not home, but I’d like to keep the doors open during the day when I’m here (most days except for errands or appointments until school starts).
They will figure out where and how to get away, mine always start out just going a foot or so out of the hidey holes and test it, they go further and further as time goes by

Absolutely sure on age, they came from a hatchery and my other broody hatched a couple. 😊 She’s the biggest:
View attachment 3577891

Doors are about brick size now, but not as tall. I cut them into the plastic fencing divider with cardboard outline to help them see, so I can adjust later if they outgrow them.
Adjustable is best! And that is a really healthy looking chick, I would've guessed she was older. :eek:

They will figure out where and how to get away, mine always start out just going a foot or so out of the hidey holes and test it, they go further and further as time goes by
I usually herd them in and out of the openings a couple of times once they're in place, and they seem to remember it from there.

Back
Top Bottom