How big is Wal-Mart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendy

On the Hill
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
central louisiana
I got this in a email and thought this was so true! But so sad!!!

HOW BIG IS WAL-MART

1. At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day.

2 .This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day
(March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer. AND MOST CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH so you know what kind of wages and benefits come from Walmart

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined,and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie).

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are SuperCenters; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.

11. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will
occur at a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart

The point of all this? Let Wal-Mart bail out Wall Street.

Quote:
I don't get the part about not speaking English. What does that have to do with wages and benefits?
hu.gif

Wal-Mart is as huge as they are because of the customers that shop there. If people didn't shop there, they wouldn't be able to make a profit.

I don't shop there, personally, unless there is absolutely no other option. I won't go into why, other than shopping there always makes me feel like
somad.gif
by the time I leave, and it's more to do with other Wal-mart customers than Wal-mart policies or employees.

Quote:
I don't get the part about not speaking English. What does that have to do with wages and benefits?
hu.gif

Wal-Mart is as huge as they are because of the customers that shop there. If people didn't shop there, they wouldn't be able to make a profit.

I don't shop there, personally, unless there is absolutely no other option. I won't go into why, other than shopping there always makes me feel like
somad.gif
by the time I leave, and it's more to do with other Wal-mart customers than Wal-mart policies or employees.

I know what you mean and how you feel. I just thought it was interesting email I got. I use to work in the pharmacy as a tech at walmart in the early 90's
sickbyc.gif
You are just a number to big companies like walmart. We could be short staffed and have people willing to work over. But walmart will not pay overtime no matter what.

Walmart is unfortunately the lowest priced store around and having to watch every penny I have to go where I can get the most for my money.The only thing I don't buy there is meat, but since I can't eat red meat due to a medical condition, I buy all my meat at the local Piggly wiggly. It runs about the same price on chicken or even a little lower, and since this is a very small town we have good meat.Esp their sausage it's great. marrie

Quote:
I love to hate walmart myself but that is a ridiculous idea. Walmart or no other business should be punished because other businesses are not doing what is necesary to stay afloat.

I have had no choice but to shop there at times too. But where we live now there are so much more choices and competive prices. Or I would shop at wally world regularly myself.

Quote:
I love to hate walmart myself but that is a ridiculous idea. Walmart or no other business should be punished because other businesses are not doing what is necesary to stay afloat.

Well I did not personaly say that. This was all in a email. I know it would never happen, I just thought it was kind of funny and ironic how huge walmart has become.

I know that it's popular to "hate on" Walmart...but there are many, many folks that just don't have the $$ to shop elsewhere.

I have an elderly friend that NEEDS to work and Walmart hired her when no one else would. She is NEVER late, rarely calls in sick, doesn't complain about her shift. She is one of a growing number of older Americans who need to work...but most companies won't hire them because of their age.

You may not like WalMarts employment policies, but it keeps them out of bankrupcy...unlike the unionized auto industry...and puts Americans who need jobs to work. Yep...they only make about $10 an hour down here in the south...but that's enough to supplement social security for those who don't have retirements...or lost what they did have.

At least WalMart isn't asking you and me (the government) to bail them out because they overspent, overpaid employees, gave too many ridiculous benefits and generally managed their companies into oblivion.

I don't see the connection of saving money at walmart. I see a few grab you items there with cheap prices but everything else is high. The meat prices at walmart is insane. I refuse to buy meats where I can't have them cut according to my request anyway. I can buy my groceries much cheaper elsewhere. If I need a chain for my chainsaw it may not be available at walmart that week. I then have to go to my local hardware store and pay about two bucks more for a chain that will last twice as long. I might have paid more for the chain but I save big money because I use half as many. I do get 11 dollar shoes at walmart. I have to replace them monthly. I could probably go elsewhere and buy 30-40 dollar shoes that would give me six months or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom