How big of a coop do buff brahmas need?

I wish it were that simple. All six are made from the same recycled plastic bins. Actually all but one is yellow, but they do not use the orange one unless traffic gets to be too much. One of the "lesser" dingbats apparently has grown impatient with the wait and started laying in an old calving shed next door. Somehow she manages to lay on a small shelf. Why they do not roll off i cannot see.

So the wife and I got ahold of 14 unsexed buff brahmas, and they're about 2.5 weeks old. We don't know how many are male or female, but any excess roosters will likely end up as dinner.

How big of a coop will be needed? I've tried looking around for suggestions but most of what I find are roosting bar sizes instead of actual coop sizes.

Secondary question, since we are new with chickens- how and when do we determine their sex?
So the wife and I got ahold of 14 unsexed buff brahmas, and they're about 2.5 weeks old. We don't know how many are male or female, but any excess roosters will likely end up as dinner.

How big of a coop will be needed? I've tried looking around for suggestions but most of what I find are roosting bar sizes instead of actual coop sizes.

Secondary question, since we are new with chickens- how and when do we determine their sex?
I am in the process of rethinking the whole coop ideal. In my area, grow zone 7 it never gets really cold. And never cold for more than a few days.
I am building an 8'x12' coop with a divider wall inside at 6' so i can keep my two rooster and divide the flock. I was debating on one or two personnel doors on the outside, but it dawned on me i have not closed the door to the coop in probably three years, since the doorway is where my older rooster sleeps. I have two 8'x22' runs in an "L" shape. So not sure i need even close to an 8'x12' coop since they are never locked in a coop.

Huh, the more you know. I'll consider than when putting my coop together.

Do you have brahmas as well or a mixed flock
I am thinning down to Brahmas and Orpingtons. My first bird however was an old Rhode Island red that i am stuck on till she dies. Now however she is old old old. I also still have a Silver laced Wyandott i bought four years ago, and now That Woman the Lord gave me will not let me re-home her. All the rest are either Brahma, Orpington or crosses of the two. I like the look of fat Orpingtons but the size of the Brahma.

I would say 4 to 5 square feet of run space per brahma, and 1-2 feet of roosting space per brahma. You will know who is boy or girl by their comb size, feathers, and beaks by 12 weeks old, if your lucky you might just be able to tell by 4 or 5 weeks old. Just my opinion, but I would not assume who is a boy until they for sure crowed. A couple of years ago I thought I for sure had a hen until it suddenly crowed as I was collecting eggs.

Hope it helps!

I heard Rhode islands make fantastic pets. Never met a mean one in my life so far
Apparently that is true. She belonged to my neighbor, but would show up at my house daily to just follow me around and hang out in my wood shop while i worked.
When he said he was going to sell off some of his flock i offered to buy Ruby. He told me to keep her and i threw together a "sorta coop" from some scrap pallets and an old dog kennel. That's when some sort of "bird Flu" hit my wife and the chicken math began. lol

I would say 4 to 5 square feet of run space per brahma, and 1-2 feet of roosting space per brahma. You will know who is boy or girl by their comb size, feathers, and beaks by 12 weeks old, if your lucky you might just be able to tell by 4 or 5 weeks old. Just my opinion, but I would not assume who is a boy until they for sure crowed. A couple of years ago I thought I for sure had a hen until it suddenly crowed as I was collecting eggs.

Hope it helps!
Edit: Follow what Ursuline said, make the coop tall enough that you can stand in it. Crouching in the coop will destroy your back over time, seriously

Also chicken math is a real thing too, 2.5 sq ft for bantams, 3.5 to 4 sq ft for medium sized birds, 4-5 sq ft for large birds

Unrelated but for even larger birds like emus and ostriches you need 1000 sq ft

Also unrelated but fun fact a penguin needs 216 sq ft of run space! Neat!

Apparently that is true. She belonged to my neighbor, but would show up at my house daily to just follow me around and hang out in my wood shop while i worked.
When he said he was going to sell off some of his flock i offered to buy Ruby. He told me to keep her and i threw together a "sorta coop" from some scrap pallets and an old dog kennel. That's when some sort of "bird Flu" hit my wife and the chicken math began. lol
That's nice of your neighbor. I'll likely use scrap pallets to make a coop for myself- previous owners of the property had a large metal frame with tarp on it they wanted to turn into a mini greenhouse that I might use as the frame. Way more than enough space AND standing room for me and the wife

I am in the process of rethinking the whole coop ideal. In my area, grow zone 7 it never gets really cold. And never cold for more than a few days.
I am building an 8'x12' coop with a divider wall inside at 6' so i can keep my two rooster and divide the flock. I was debating on one or two personnel doors on the outside, but it dawned on me i have not closed the door to the coop in probably three years, since the doorway is where my older rooster sleeps. I have two 8'x22' runs in an "L" shape. So not sure i need even close to an 8'x12' coop since they are never locked in a coop.
Huh, the more you know. I'll consider than when putting my coop together.

Do you have brahmas as well or a mixed flock

One thing to know about Brahmas is that they don't fly well once they are full sized. I only have one and she is not the most agile hen in the coop! I would recommend not making the roosts too high for a flock of Brahmas because their flying is more like controlled falling!
Could of had me fooled because the chicks are quite the escape artists lol. They'll flutter up and onto my hand as I'm trying to give them bits of meal worms to get them used to me

Could of had me fooled because the chicks are quite the escape artists lol. They'll flutter up and onto my hand as I'm trying to give them bits of meal worms to get them used to me
I thought i had lost one to predation one evening when the count was off. Next morning i found her up on top of the coop.

I am thinning down to Brahmas and Orpingtons. My first bird however was an old Rhode Island red that i am stuck on till she dies. Now however she is old old old. I also still have a Silver laced Wyandott i bought four years ago, and now That Woman the Lord gave me will not let me re-home her. All the rest are either Brahma, Orpington or crosses of the two. I like the look of fat Orpingtons but the size of the Brahma.
I heard Rhode islands make fantastic pets. Never met a mean one in my life so far

Back
Top Bottom