How big of a coop do buff brahmas need?

So the wife and I got ahold of 14 unsexed buff brahmas, and they're about 2.5 weeks old. We don't know how many are male or female, but any excess roosters will likely end up as dinner.

How big of a coop will be needed? I've tried looking around for suggestions but most of what I find are roosting bar sizes instead of actual coop sizes.

Secondary question, since we are new with chickens- how and when do we determine their sex?
I can't wait to hear how you do the nesting box math. Lol I am now down to 11 hens from 24 with 6 nesting boxes. They all fuss over the same two boxes.

So the wife and I got ahold of 14 unsexed buff brahmas, and they're about 2.5 weeks old. We don't know how many are male or female, but any excess roosters will likely end up as dinner.

How big of a coop will be needed? I've tried looking around for suggestions but most of what I find are roosting bar sizes instead of actual coop sizes.
A bigger coop is not a problem for the chickens.
So you could build a coop suitable for 14 birds.
At 4 square feet each, that would be 56 square feet, which could be 7 by 8 feet.

It's probably easier to just build it 8 feet square, which provides 64 square feet. That is a nice size for a coop, and would be fine for up to 16 chickens. If you only end up with a handful of females, they could enjoy the extra space, or you could buy some more females to add to them.

Or you could build a smaller coop, and if you have too many females for the coop size, you could butcher a few of them when you butcher the extra males.

Either way would let you build the coop without waiting to know the sexes.

A bigger coop is not a problem for the chickens.
So you could build a coop suitable for 14 birds.
At 4 square feet each, that would be 56 square feet, which could be 7 by 8 feet.

It's probably easier to just build it 8 feet square, which provides 64 square feet. That is a nice size for a coop, and would be fine for up to 16 chickens. If you only end up with a handful of females, they could enjoy the extra space, or you could buy some more females to add to them.

Or you could build a smaller coop, and if you have too many females for the coop size, you could butcher a few of them when you butcher the extra males.

Either way would let you build the coop without waiting to know the sexes.
A perfectly 8x8 coop sounds great. We will likely butcher whatever excess roosters we have and replace some of them with hens once everything's figured out and they're big enough for meat

Maybe those two boxes have some bonus features our puny ape brains can't comprehend but their advanced dinosaur brains wanna fight over?
I wish it were that simple. All six are made from the same recycled plastic bins. Actually all but one is yellow, but they do not use the orange one unless traffic gets to be too much. One of the "lesser" dingbats apparently has grown impatient with the wait and started laying in an old calving shed next door. Somehow she manages to lay on a small shelf. Why they do not roll off i cannot see.

I wish it were that simple. All six are made from the same recycled plastic bins. Actually all but one is yellow, but they do not use the orange one unless traffic gets to be too much. One of the "lesser" dingbats apparently has grown impatient with the wait and started laying in an old calving shed next door. Somehow she manages to lay on a small shelf. Why they do not roll off i cannot see.
Chicken witchcraft!

Secondary question, since we are new with chickens- how and when do we determine their sex?

I am in the process of rethinking the whole coop ideal. In my area, grow zone 7 it never gets really cold. And never cold for more than a few days.
I am building an 8'x12' coop with a divider wall inside at 6' so i can keep my two rooster and divide the flock. I was debating on one or two personnel doors on the outside, but it dawned on me i have not closed the door to the coop in probably three years, since the doorway is where my older rooster sleeps. I have two 8'x22' runs in an "L" shape. So not sure i need even close to an 8'x12' coop since they are never locked in a coop.

I am in the process of rethinking the whole coop ideal. In my area, grow zone 7 it never gets really cold. And never cold for more than a few days.
I am building an 8'x12' coop with a divider wall inside at 6' so i can keep my two rooster and divide the flock. I was debating on one or two personnel doors on the outside, but it dawned on me i have not closed the door to the coop in probably three years, since the doorway is where my older rooster sleeps. I have two 8'x22' runs in an "L" shape. So not sure i need even close to an 8'x12' coop since they are never locked in a coop.
Huh, the more you know. I'll consider than when putting my coop together.

Do you have brahmas as well or a mixed flock

Back
Top Bottom