How big should my nesting boxes be for a Buff Orpington?

bacibeau

Chirping
Aug 9, 2021
Hi everyone! I have two Buff Orpingtons and three Speckled Sussex pullets. I've already built my coop and run including the nesting boxes. I currently have three nesting boxes that are 12x12 each. However, I've been reading online and some websites say that for Buff Orpingtons you need nesting boxes that are 18x18. I might be able to slide the inside panel of one of the boxes over to make it 12x18 but then the nesting box next to it would only be 12x6. Is it necessary for me to do this or should I just leave it how it is?

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 1.23.51 PM.png

(Sorry I only have this image of it from before we put the coop together)

Even my big Brahma girls in the in-town flock fit fine into a 12x12 nestbox.

Our new nestboxes are going to be a little bigger than that, primarily because DH wants to divide a 4-foot space into thirds since you lose the thickness of each divider and dividing it into quarters would make them under 12", but we humans are fussier about the boxes than the chickens are. :)

Hi everyone! I have two Buff Orpingtons and three Speckled Sussex pullets. I've already built my coop and run including the nesting boxes. I currently have three nesting boxes that are 12x12 each. However, I've been reading online and some websites say that for Buff Orpingtons you need nesting boxes that are 18x18. I might be able to slide the inside panel of one of the boxes over to make it 12x18 but then the nesting box next to it would only be 12x6. Is it necessary for me to do this or should I just leave it how it is?

View attachment 2793956
(Sorry I only have this image of it from before we put the coop together)
If they’re as big as the lady’s are on English Country Life, I’d say about three feet by three feet by three feet..lol..! I’ve never seen such huge hens! Edit..here’s one of her vids..not the biggest I’ve seen there, but you get the idea..gorgeous!

Last edited:
12x12 should be fine, or you could do 2 wider boxes, or do a communal style box which is just 1 big long box. I think height is honestly more important over width as hens stand up when they lay but can't change that at this point.

Actually..... That's not a bad idea....

If the nest box top were sloped it looks like a few inches could be gained. Depending on how it's attached and constructed that could be a bit of a pain but not impossible.

Back
Top Bottom