How big to process?

sfgwife

Crowing
May 19, 2017
North Cakalaki
We have cornishx. What is the average standing weight for them to be to process for a 5-6 lb finished bird? We read they will most likely be eight weeks old which is the 8th of june. But these dudes look good eatin size now. This is our first time with any birds so we aren't sure how much smaller they will actually be dressed. We have done the 12 hrs on and 12 off for feed since they were three weeks old and they are doin great! We have only lost two birds total since we got them. They are in a chicken tractor and move around fairly well still. Thanks!

I don't have the exact weight ratio but I have found that the last couple of weeks is worth the wait. at 6 weeks you'll end up with 3.5 ish lbs dressed at 8 it's more like 4.5-7+ lbs. it may come down to how may people you are trying to feed at dinner and how much you would like left over. we have a family of 4 and like having some left over for lunches so the bigger the better. the last couple weeks is when they really need attention as they grow really fast, plow through food and most importantly water. they produce a lot of droppings in the last 10-15 days and it's challenging to keep them clean but worth it. Spacing them out helps if you have the room.

Gah yes the poop! They are in a tractor amd we are movin them twice a day now. And we have noticed they are drinkin more water so added another to it also. Thanks for the great info!

Gah yes the poop! They are in a tractor amd we are movin them twice a day now. And we have noticed they are drinkin more water so added another to it also. Thanks for the great info!
Sounds you are doing everything right sfgwife! keep on chugging to the finish line :)

also, if the droppings are super wattery, you can try lowering the protein count of the grower formula. I went with 17% last time and the droppings were much more "normal" but they did not grow quite as fast. it's a balancing act. some electrolytes at this stage can be helpful too, they lose a lot due to the loose stools.

They are gettin chicorade as hubby calls it. :).

Attachments

• IMG_4637.JPG
    IMG_4637.JPG
    619.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4638.JPG
    IMG_4638.JPG
    502.3 KB · Views: 13
I switched to an 17% grower this year and my weights are way off. Last year I would get birds with a processed weight of 4 - 6lb after 8 full weeks. This year I am getting 2.75 - 4lb weights. I did it to save money, but found out the hard way it isn't worth it. Just got 2000lbs of 20% grower for the next batch. and 100% agree with the electrolytes!! I also find that I get about a 70% finished weight to live weight ratio.

Back
Top Bottom