how bout this in a homemade bator...

Yes it will work and if you will look at the BYC pages you will see some examples. Good luck!

I bought an old brooder at an auction last year. It was the old type galvanized square ones that you put in the coop and the chicks run in and out whether they want to get food and water or stay under for some heat. Needless to say that the heating element was burned out and the manufacturer went out of business many years earlier. I searched the web for many weeks scratching my head for anyone that might have a replacement heating coil for this.
I found a new heating coil finally. NOT on the web but at the local recycling center. I took the heating element from a discarded electric oven and wired it in. The original heating element worked on 230 volts as intended for the application to bake your pies and such at 350 degrees. The element heats at a lower temp when hooked to 115 volts and a thermostat. I may be cheap but it works and I saved myself a bundle on new heating element costs.
I always liked the vintage ways of incubating and caring for the chicks. Newer versions of bators are so lazy. Auto turn, auto humidify, ect. I pride myself more with a great hatch when I have more hands on and the chicks start to pip and hatch. Nothing more rewarding than to see the chicks hatch after three weeks of TLC.

Back
Top Bottom